Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Two pairs - free (almost) play from SB

Fropping two pairs in the SB... Button has a VP$IP of 40 after about 30 hands. What do I do when being raised? Re-raise or call and pop him on the turn if no scary cards fall?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($63.5)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($48.3)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($97.5)</font>
BB ($96)
UTG ($98)
UTG+1 ($38.25)
UTG+2 ($100.05)
MP1 ($104.1)
MP2 ($181.3)
MP3 ($74.9)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls $1, MP3 calls $1, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($6) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $12</font>, Hero ???
Old 04-01-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Two pairs - free (almost) play from SB

He could have 67 which would be really bad, but he could also have top pair, an overpair or even a draw. You're out of position so I suggest you commit him on the flop and end the guessing game. If you call and check the turn he might check behind with a draw and that would be a disaster.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:53 AM

Fold pre-flop. They aint suited, connected, or paired.

C/R on the flop would've been best. There's a pretty large field that you're going into here.
Any information on the aggression of your opponent?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 AM

do you complete any SB? damn.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 AM

He could have absolutely anything: 67, overpair, straight/flush draws, two pair or a set. So a huge number of scary cards can come, and he's got position on you. So I definitely think it's push or fold on the flop.

Unless he has 67 or a set, you're ahead, so I respect pushing. The way he's betting, he may well be semi-bluffing a draw. But I've had too many similar experiences where I called or pushed and Villain showed me exactly what he was advertising, the flopped straight. I'd fold it. Am I a weenie?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
C/R on the flop would've been best. There's a pretty large field that you're going into here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i c/r too. if it whiffs it might ruin your hand but i still think its best. given the way he played it, im probably pushing. (since villain doesnt have THAT much)
Old 04-01-2005, 09:22 AM

Hands he could have:

Set, two pair (45 is really the only one, unless he's a bit loose). A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] looking for free cards. Two suited broadways looking for free cards. 99/TT. Straight.

Of those you are ahead of about half. I think the proper play here with a not an incredibly powerful hand (if the board pairs you lose to any overpair or even 8 with higher kicker) is to checkraise. Then you get to put button in the position you are in now. The problem is that from his point of view, you could just have 89 here, so there's all sorts of crap he's re-raising with.

I might just call here, then make a nice bet on a non-club, non 6 or 7 turn.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you complete any SB? damn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... I actually play anything that has a remote chance of making a straight or flush if there's enough callers (4 or more) in front. Since I'm used to 3/6 fixed, I don't think another 50 cents is that much... I know it's wrong thinking and that 0.50 will eventually end up being $500 after 10.000 played hands... As a sidenote, completing the small blind in multiway pots seem to be successful so far. Poker Tracker shows profit from SB even with blinds included.