Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 09:42 AM

Default I actually use this....

....and will be quite pleased if I find out it is the answer.

Could it be to slow down the aggressiveness of the other player? Say make a small(er) bet that the other player may call to avoid checking and having the other player make an even larger bet that you may be forced to call. You would do it if you feel the raise back would make it easy for you to give up the hand??
Old 09-24-2004, 10:00 AM

Default WOW

Who knew if I had tons of money and a budding poker career, that I'd still be on this forum being sarcastic to others.

Those is glass forums....should not throw stones at others for not having a life.

The rich guy makes a good point people......think about this for a while.....you're posting on an internet forum....possibly the apex of geek life as we know it. Should you really be critical of what others do with their time?

Now, if you'll excuse me, the dungeon master is calling and my Doom III game is locking up.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Re: An Interesting No Limit Question

Hi David -

Without having read the other posts...

Is it when if you don't bet, your opponent will bluff with the correct frequency and number of chips, thus putting you in a spot where neither calling nor folding is a good option?

Good Luck

Cepstrum
Old 09-24-2004, 10:29 AM

It is to encourage your opponent to be more inclined to call with lesser holdings next time you value bet the river.

After thinking about it for a while also I see how the opponent will react (basically the essence of the question). If you check the river to him after he has seen you value bet a thin hand, he will be more inclined to bluff and/or bet his marginal hands, thinking that you would have bet a mediocre hand so he thinks he is in the lead. You will generate more action from him this way when you are in the lead.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or I just heard the guy only has six months to live and I feel like throwing some expectation his way to boost his spirits.

I could take a stab at a serious answer but I'd rather make fun of the idea that there are exactly two answers to this question and one of them is "it's worth risking a bet to keep from having to show your hand."

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, you are making these forums extremely entertaining.
Thanks!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Re: I actually use this....

[ QUOTE ]
Could it be to slow down the aggressiveness of the other player? Say make a small(er) bet that the other player may call to avoid checking and having the other player make an even larger bet that you may be forced to call. You would do it if you feel the raise back would make it easy for you to give up the hand??

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There is a situation, not all that rare, where it is right to bet on the river even though there is no chance of getting a better hand to fold OR getting a worse hand to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-24-2004, 10:58 AM

Paul,

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I could've posted this question on our Poker Theory or No Limit forums but since this forum is now attracting some bigshots that don't post elsewhere, I thought I'd pose it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fuzzy thinking! If you lost a quarter on 37th avenue would you search for it on 38th avenue because the light is better?

And it's "who" don't post elsewhere. We're not furniture.

[/ QUOTE ]

This forum really needs an <ignore> function for twits who want nothing more than an argument, any argument, whatever the topic, just so long as it's an argument.

For the record, David wasn't "looking for a quarter," either on 38th or 37th Avenues. He knew the answer. He was opening a topic for discussion.

For the record, redux, what you find on this or almost any other Internet forum is standard spoken English, and not standard written English. In SSE, "that" is both commonly used and commonly understood in this context. Whether it is "correct" -- by whatever grammatical preening one wishes to indulge -- is entirely irrelevant. The purpose of language is to communicate, and David communicated quite clearly.

You, on the other hand, seem to look for any opportunity to misread or criticize semantics rather than responding to the substance of a question or comment. That, as I said, makes me wish this forum had an <ignore> function.

Cris
Old 09-24-2004, 11:02 AM

This type of bet can only be made when you do not mind a raise. In this situation, if you are raised, you can just release the hand. If he merely calls, then you get to see the showdown more cheaply than if you had to call his larger aggressive river bet.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:07 AM

Default He doesn\'t say you lose for sure...

So again...I suspect you bet "X" when you think that checking will result in your opponent betting 2x, 3x or more and put you in a worse spot AND by betting "X" it confuses or concerns your opponent enough that he only calls. If you win, you're happy with the pot AS IS and if you lose you're content that you didn't lose more.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:09 AM

hey Cris...is it possible Paul was just being funny?

it's a thought...