Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-15-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Harrah\'s New Orleans

Any inside scoop here? With its location I can only assume it was not flooded, or at least had very minor damage compared to most of the city. Boomtown is already open although it was away from the flooding and loss of infrastructure. Was Harrahs badly damaged? Any tentative date to reopen?

Three properties in Biloxi will reopen in the next 2 weeks, one of them is even directly on the coastline and sustained some pretty serious damage. This had me wondering why Harrah's has not announced a reopen date.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Harrah\'s New Orleans

I went there for rhe WSOP 2005 circuit events. I dont see how they can reopen that place since most of the city is still destroyed. French quarter was actually the only party that did ok.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went there for rhe WSOP 2005 circuit events. I dont see how they can reopen that place since most of the city is still destroyed. French quarter was actually the only party that did ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

An article in the New Orleans Times-Picayune earlier this week gave February 17 as the target date for reopening. This is just before Mardi Gras. Harrah's will be scaled down in size for the time being--and so will Mardi Gras. The article did not say anything about what the scaling-down will mean in terms of how many tables of poker will be available--and what games/limits they will be spreading.

And, no, the French Quarter was not the only part that did OK. Neighborhoods that did not experience significant flooding (although there was some wind damage) were Bywater, Marigny, the Quarter, CBD, and all Uptown neighborhoods on the river side of St. Charles. Algiers on the West Bank was also unflooded. The rest of the city is like the back side of the moon.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:45 AM

Harrah's 3/6 LHE games were highly dependent on tourists. Who knows when they'll be back? The higher limit games were pretty locals oriented, but how many of them are around right now?

It will get out after Harrah's opens how the action is. I'll post the rumors, since I won't be the first one back.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrah's 3/6 LHE games were highly dependent on tourists. Who knows when they'll be back? The higher limit games were pretty locals oriented, but how many of them are around right now?

It will get out after Harrah's opens how the action is. I'll post the rumors, since I won't be the first one back.

[/ QUOTE ]

The population of New Orleans is currently disproportionately male with many out-of-town construction workers, utility crews, insurance adjusters, etc., staying in hotels. I understand they are providing the clientele for the various bars, clubs, and restaurants that have re-opened downtown. This same population may well form the clientele for Harrah's in general and their poker operation in particular.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The population of New Orleans is currently disproportionately male with many out-of-town construction workers, utility crews, insurance adjusters, etc., staying in hotels. I understand they are providing the clientele for the various bars, clubs, and restaurants that have re-opened downtown. This same population may well form the clientele for Harrah's in general and their poker operation in particular.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great point which is part of why I could not figure out why Harrahs was not on top of getting this reopened.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:04 AM

It looks like February is the target date for the re-opening:

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/det...eaa68a0edef65d7
Old 12-17-2005, 02:05 AM

Here is the nola.com article
Old 12-17-2005, 08:06 PM

It's an employment issue. They're contractually obligated to employ something like 2400 people as part of their deal with the state. I read that that they can't open with anything less than full capacity. It seems like a silly sticking point, but there are a lot of silly sticking points down here.

I would be happy to take a seat with a table full of cash-flush drunk out-of-town mercenary workers. Why should the strippers get all that money?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's an employment issue. They're contractually obligated to employ something like 2400 people as part of their deal with the state. I read that that they can't open with anything less than full capacity. It seems like a silly sticking point, but there are a lot of silly sticking points down here.

I would be happy to take a seat with a table full of cash-flush drunk out-of-town mercenary workers. Why should the strippers get all that money?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with Harrah's contractual obligation to employ a certain number of people with a certain dollar figure payroll has been resolved. Harrah's will be allowed to reopen with fewer employees and a lesser payroll.