Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-30-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: The Fly (1986)

Bumping this for my man diebitter, cuz we were talking about film reviews, and I remember this was one of his I really agreed with strongly.

And then on clicking up this link, I remembered how much the sense of daily loss reminded me of another of one of the films diebitter, in his good taste, reviewed, - The Incredible Shrinking Man. The haunting, terrible sense of daily diminishing and loss, so heartbreaking in the two of them if you let yourself open up to what the films are really all about. In the case of The Fly, the writing, directing, and Jeff Goldblum's great performance make it easy.

There is something in it of addiction, of moral compromise, of aging in a way that young OOT'ers may not understand. But for those of us who do, it's brilliant.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:44 AM

Plus Crash has Holly Hunter in it. The NC-17 version is quite good, and very weird overall.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:48 AM

I remember thinking Jeff Goldblum was awesome in this movie. Haven't seen it in ages though. Wonder why he doesn't make many films. He's quirky but I like him.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember thinking Jeff Goldblum was awesome in this movie. Haven't seen it in ages though. Wonder why he doesn't make many films. He's quirky but I like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

His best role was in Jurassic Park.... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] <font color="white"> Or maybe not...Lol ! </font>
Old 12-30-2005, 08:55 AM

"You don't get out much, do you?", was one of Gena Davis's lines to him in this film. Along with some of his subsequent film roles, I think it permanently typecast him as "a bit off" in a way that limited the rest of his career.

I'm reminded of Peter Lorre and his heartstopping virtuosity in "M" at the very beginning of his career. It's not that Lorre couldn't possibly play another type of character. It's that nobody cared that he could, since he was so perfect at what he did. Lorre, like Goldblum, had almost no chance of escaping the doom of his own perfection.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 AM

I remember also really digging JG in a film from the same time as 'The Fly' - a BBC production about how Watson and Crick unravelled the secrets of DNA -Life Story

He was great as Watson, who by all accounts was also quirky and charismatic - perfect casting, I'd say [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS. Blarg, your account box is full, will you empty out the [censored] please?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:07 AM

Dang, the BBC slaps American t.v. silly so damn hard. I wish we had regular access to it here. Life Story isn't available on Netflix ATM.

On the box full, sorry, I'm sentimental and a packrat. Emptied a few out anyway now though. The number you can keep is kind of absurd now.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's not that Lorre couldn't possibly play another type of character. It's that nobody cared that he could, since he was so perfect at what he did. Lorre, like Goldblum, had almost no chance of escaping the doom of his own perfection.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's true what a terrible shame. Wouldn't you love to see what Goldblum could do with another character? Man I would. Maybe he's been given opportunities but has blown them, maybe he really is too quirky to play more mainstream roles. I just don't get hollywood.

Diebitter I'd love to see him playing Watson. I'll bet he was great.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Diebitter I'd love to see him playing Watson. I'll bet he was great.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was good. Actually, I only saw the film once (about 18 years ago!), and I remember parts of it vividly - I was doing evolutionary biology and genetics in my degree at the time, so it was doubly meaningful - and I don't think it's available anywhere, sadly [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus Crash has Holly Hunter in it. The NC-17 version is quite good, and very weird overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you know that's what you're getting. If you mistakenly NetFlix it thinking you're going to watch the 2005 movie of the same name, it is apallingly awful. I hated it.

Seeing Holly Hunter getting repeatedly boned does have a strange fascination, I'll grant ya that.