Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 12:10 AM

Default David Sklansky? and Tournament Poker?

i kinda of got to thinking about this when some other poster started a thread about David writing poker books. David responded that he plays $300-$600 just about everyday, i guess as a testament to the success he's achieved in poker, as well as, proff that he has the background to be the foremost authority on How-To Poker books. now, how does that translate over into tournament poker? i'm pretty much used to a guy who has a visible and unrefutable track record in a field or medium (he's supposed to be an expert in) authoring a book on how to achieve success in this field or medium? granted, Barry G did say in one of his insightful posts that if alot of the good cash game players decided to focus more on tournaments, we would all be worshipping a different set of idols. yet, you're a successful cash game player who wrote a book on how to succeed in TOURNAMENT poker. how well has your poker knowledge (which has afforded you the ability to write numerous books on the subject) helped you in Tournament poker?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:20 AM

Default Re: David Sklansky? and Tournament Poker?

I'm not exactly sure what your post says, but if I interpreted the rambling correctly, you are wondering if David Sklansky should be considered an expert on tournament poker. Is this correct?

David has been playing successful poker for 30 years. He has played, and won some tournaments. He choses to mostly play in high-limit cash games. Is he an expert? Yes. Will he respond to this thread? Probably can't be bothered since this was just asked, and he answered, in the thread you mentioned.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2004, 02:40 AM

He has 3 bracelets, not exactly too shabby :0) Only a third of the hellmuthian 9, however his book is alot better :0) Perhaps if Hellmuth took them off he would be able to write better (ok bad joke). On a related note I use too many ascii smileys in my posts 8-) Oh and if you want an author who is a visible tourney player check out Mason's latest thread in books/software.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:06 AM

Sklansky is considered by most, me included, (although I believe Mason Malmuth plays better) the foremost poker authority. Does that translate to "Sklansky is the foremost Poker Tournament authority"?

Well, if it not there must be a difference between live poker and tournament poker. Something I've always claimed to be true. There is a difference. The fact that there are escalating blinds, one must play and that one cannot quit and take his money until the tournament is over should highlite some obvious differences.

Sklansky is a logician. He understand poker situations better than anyone I know. Tournament situations can be thought of as poker situations with a few exceptions or a few additional factors. However, those additional factors can be described mathematically. This is Sklansky's world - the Mathematics of Poker situations. Nobody does it better. So if you have a poker tournament situation that you want analyzed ask David. David's opinion is second only to my own.

Vince [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2004, 10:03 PM

Default a Draw poker title (less than $16K for 1st), a Mixed Doubles

[ QUOTE ]
He has 3 bracelets, not exactly too shabby :0) Only a third of the hellmuthian 9, however his book is alot better :0) Perhaps if Hellmuth took them off he would be able to write better (ok bad joke). On a related note I use too many ascii smileys in my posts 8-) Oh and if you want an author who is a visible tourney player check out Mason's latest thread in books/software.

[/ QUOTE ]

title (less than 9K) and an Limit Omaha title (less than 26K). something tells me these were very small fields. that does'nt exactly mean you're a tournament poker guru, even if they are WSOP titles. but, to each his own.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:22 PM

Default LMAO

Have you even read Tournament Poker for Advanced Players?

Desdia, you obviously have issues. First Raymer. Now Sklansky. You are too much.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:26 PM

Default Re: LMAO

[ QUOTE ]
Have you even read Tournament Poker for Advanced Players?

Desdia, you obviously have issues. First Raymer. Now Sklansky. You are too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i've heard of TPFAP. i did'nt like it. nor was i too fond of TOP either. you say David and Greg's name as if their ABOVE or GREATER than you. maybe you're the one who has issues.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nor was i too fond of TOP either.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is, if you polled the pros that you happen to think play well, no matter who they are, I bet they would disagree with your review of TOP.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nor was i too fond of TOP either.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is, if you polled the pros that you happen to think play well, no matter who they are, I bet they would disagree with your review of TOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

the funny thing is, i WOULD'NT poll the pros i happen to think play well. and even if i did, i also would'nt care if they did disagree with my review of TOP. i'm my own man and if i did'nt like something, the fact that someone i admire did is not gonna change things....all of a sudden.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:52 AM

If you don't like TOP, its because you don't understand it. Simple as that, and not uncommon. It's not an easy read, but it IS the magnum opus of poker.
Closed Thread