Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Is this not the most ridiculous parenting ever???

Ha, this must be the craze. My daughter told us a story about her friend who taught his little 3 yr. old sister to play GTA and yell out "Run, bitch, run" when the parents aren't around. I found it hilarious, but would never condone it with my kids or home.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
apparently, this "mother" ...let him play Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas...they turn it on over at our house b/c i have the game and the kid starts freaking out,

[/ QUOTE ]

couple thoughts.
1. i used to work for social services while you describe some areas of concern certainly, nothing comes close to neglect.

2. you need to step up and take responsibility if you think its unacceptable instead of posting about it on the internet. it's your place. your game. why is the 3 year old playing it? youre not powerless in this situation. turn the game off.

bwana
Old 12-09-2005, 06:17 AM

My kids have been around computer games all their lives, my daughter has played GTA a small amount although she tended to run around more than anything and doesnt really like it she prefers Mario and Shrek to anything like that.

I do sometimes swear in front of them in the car etc but try not too too much.

My daughter thinks if someone says shut up in a nasty way its really bad never mind using any other bad words. The two stepkids have never as yet brought trouble to the door and in the main are well behaved.

If there are older people in the house then kids are going to be exposed to stuff accidently or not, whether their dad or older brother are playing games or watching older films whatever. I try not to let them see certain stuff and tell the stepson to not watch or play certain things when the younger ones are around.

But my feeling is that their morals and knowing right or wrong and knowing how to act appropriately does not come from games or tv but from us as parents. As kids did we not play cops and robbers etc etc games are an extension of this , if she was playing GTA from beginning to end I would have issues with it as it does have inappropriate content, but having an quick play on it is hardly going to change a good kid into the spawn of satan.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:19 AM

I played cops and robbers, but I didn't play pouring draino down a bitch's throat when she wouldn't give me my money.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:30 AM

Other than getting social services involved (which can potentially do more harm than good), the best you can do is act as a positive role model in the kid's life. Offer him some stability and continuity through his child hood. Start "giving the mother a break" for a day or two -- sit down and read some books with him, play some kids games, take him to the zoo, but don't spoil him. Get other family members involed too.

I have been in related situations before, and you will really be suprised at how much change you will see from a little positive input. I think you will find that the child will enjoy being with you a lot, and look foward to it -- he will be getting more attention, having more fun, and getting a positive influence.

Other people I know had a tough childhood, and in some cases it was somebody outside the family unit - a teacher or distand uncle - who provided a small positive influence, and showed the child that there were other, better ways to live life. I'm not saying that spending the odd day with the child will make him turn out OK, but it definately improves his chances, and gives him a reference point to make informed decisions from when he grows up.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:39 AM

As a clinical psychologist, I agree with the following:

[ QUOTE ]
The best thing you can do is call Child Protective Services (they have an 800 number)and report the family situation. Let them investigate and take appropriate action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: The exact name of the above agency varies in every state. If you are unable to find the name/number in the phone book, just call the local police department dispatcher. You can ask for the name and number of your state agency anonymously without giving much information.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best thing you can do is call Child Protective Services (they have an 800 number)and report the family situation. Let them investigate and take appropriate action.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live in Jersey though don't bother...
Old 12-09-2005, 09:33 AM

"pretty sure she knows who the father is"

Thats hot.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that spending the odd day with the child will make him turn out OK, but it definately improves his chances, and gives him a reference point to make informed decisions from when he grows up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop doing this, it really upsets me.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:33 AM

Welcome to the boards Senator Lieberman.