Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-30-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Soft Contact Lenses

So I'm switching from glasses to contacts. Ive got these soft contact lenses, and they are extremely difficult to get in my eyes. They tend to not "stick" to my eyeball like they should. Any advice on how to get them in?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Soft Contact Lenses

Have you even considered consulting your optometrist about this. I'd imagine he/she would know about these kinds of problems.

Swede
Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 PM

You will get it, it just takes time and practice. On mine if you hold them up to the light, it will read 123. If it is backwards, they are turned inside out and you need to fix that. Just keep doing it, it's annoying, but after a while, they go in nicely.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:35 PM

okay, make sure your hands arent super wet, drop a couple drops of the saline solution into the contact, and then put it on your eye just below the pupil, and then look down and push it gently with your finger on your lower eyelid onto the pupil. You'll know its gonna stay on when you feel the air bubble trapped between your eye and the contact push out.

it takes practice, but I've worn em for a couple years and I can do it without a mirror now.

Nice move btw, contacts are awesome. Get the ones you can wear overnight, otherwise it can be kind of a hassle if you pass out drunk somewhere, and wearing them too long can give you an eye infection, because when you sleep your eye wont get any oxygen through the contact.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:36 PM

Practice is the only thing when I first got mine it could take me 40-45 minutes to get them in and out.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:37 PM

Make sure they're not inside out. That may sound odd, but if you look at one close, it should look like a perfectly smooth bowl, not be bowed out near the edges. I dont know how else to describe it. Your eyes can be too wet - I've worn contacts for years and years now, and sometimes, if I overlubricate before I put them in, I gotta take em out and blink a few times and try again.

That being said, you're probably doing the same thing that all of us did when we first got contacts. You mean you want me to TOUCH my EYE? Just do it. You get used to it. Uh...

Just follow swede's advice. He seems to be really on point today.

-- yasher
Old 11-30-2005, 07:53 PM

Hi swede,

Yea, when I was at the optomotrist I had some difficulty there too. But for whatever reason within about 25 min I managed to get them both in. Getting them out is no problem. Also, I'm sure they arent inside out, since the edge doesnt "curl up"
Old 11-30-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get the ones you can wear overnight, otherwise it can be kind of a hassle if you pass out drunk somewhere, and wearing them too long can give you an eye infection, because when you sleep your eye wont get any oxygen through the contact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found that if I do this once a month or so it isn't a problem. There have been times when I forget to take them out, then after my shower when I wake up I check the box and they are missing, and then I realize they are still in. not too big a deal for me, maybe I have a different kind.but yeah, it is a bit of a pain sometimes worrying about it.

OP: make sure the contacts are wet and not inside out. then its practice, obviously use a mirror, but theres no magic trick. I thought it was impossible at first but after a while its easy.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:28 PM

As others have said, it will get easier in time. When I first started wearing mine 10 years ago it took 45 minutes to put them in with a mirror. Now I can pop them in or out in half a second, no mirror.

Also, if you have toric lenses (meaning you have astigmatism) they are not perfectly round and only fit one way. So put them in, look straight up, close your eyes, put SLIGHT pressure on the eyelids with your fingertips and roll your eyes around in one direction for a few seconds. They will roll into place.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:30 PM

Finger tips should be completely dry.