Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Living on your own for the first time

[ QUOTE ]
might be -EV in the longrun.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing out on independence. It's an awesome thing.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, lotta replies.

Re: the 18'ers, I'm reluctant to make such a big decision based on an arbitrary number. It's the equivalent of having to be 16 years old to drive or 21 years old to drink alcohol. Know what I mean?

Yea it is a whole lot of new responsibilities and experiences. Talked to my dad about it and his whole thing was that I should be looking to meet a nice chick and get married before I move out, which I'm not sure is necessarily what I want to do. It would not be fair for me to be so selfish... I should make an effort to give the ladies the opportunity to enjoy me while I'm single. (heh)

The weird thing is that my home life is completely unlike anyone else's I've been told about. My parents literally want nothing from me. No rent money, no help for utilities - nothing. Never been asked to do my own laundry or iron my clothes. Every penny I earn either goes toward my minimal expenses, my investments, toys, and savings. [censored], I did my mom the favor of buying some milk on my way home from work one day and I had to fight with her so she'd keep her damn $3 in her purse.

It's a sweet deal but in the back of my mind I'm afraid so much comfort might be -EV in the longrun.

DavidC ask a good question: "Basically, you have to ask yourself what you'd like to do that you can't do at home, and then move out if whatever that thing is, is important enough."

What can't I do at home that I want to? Chicks pretty much; however, I've always been sorta shy so I don't think my own place will magically make me start bringing home a new one every weekend. Plus with a mortgage (I would never rent unless I had to), utilities, food, etc... we're talking upwards of an extra $2,000 per month.

Dunno how you guys' home life was, but there's really nothing driving me out of there except the thought in the back of my mind of "hmm, maybe I'm getting too old," which is why I'm reluctant.

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents are a lot like yours, and I am tellling you, it may be -EV money wise unless you buy a house, which then its debateble, but life-experience wise it is +EV. There was NO reason for me to move out, other than that my friend asked me if I wanted to move in...Ill repeat, best 3 years ever.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:33 AM

It's good to live on your own at some point, because you really don't want your first time away from home to be when you are living with someone/married. I think the divorce rate is so high because of situations like yours, a bunch of kids who have been living with Mommy and Daddy who have never had to buy toilet paper in their life are suddenly thrust into running a household, petty arguments ensue, and people realize they should have been using their early twenties to grow up, rather then to be comfortable.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:35 AM

This response alone tells me it is time for you to move away from home. You know that you should be paying your own keep, you want to prove it to yourself and your parents. The current arrangement is not letting you do it.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, lotta replies.

Re: the 18'ers, I'm reluctant to make such a big decision based on an arbitrary number. It's the equivalent of having to be 16 years old to drive or 21 years old to drink alcohol. Know what I mean?

Yea it is a whole lot of new responsibilities and experiences. Talked to my dad about it and his whole thing was that I should be looking to meet a nice chick and get married before I move out, which I'm not sure is necessarily what I want to do. It would not be fair for me to be so selfish... I should make an effort to give the ladies the opportunity to enjoy me while I'm single. (heh)

The weird thing is that my home life is completely unlike anyone else's I've been told about. My parents literally want nothing from me. No rent money, no help for utilities - nothing. Never been asked to do my own laundry or iron my clothes. Every penny I earn either goes toward my minimal expenses, my investments, toys, and savings. [censored], I did my mom the favor of buying some milk on my way home from work one day and I had to fight with her so she'd keep her damn $3 in her purse.

It's a sweet deal but in the back of my mind I'm afraid so much comfort might be -EV in the longrun.

DavidC ask a good question: "Basically, you have to ask yourself what you'd like to do that you can't do at home, and then move out if whatever that thing is, is important enough."

What can't I do at home that I want to? Chicks pretty much; however, I've always been sorta shy so I don't think my own place will magically make me start bringing home a new one every weekend. Plus with a mortgage (I would never rent unless I had to), utilities, food, etc... we're talking upwards of an extra $2,000 per month.

Dunno how you guys' home life was, but there's really nothing driving me out of there except the thought in the back of my mind of "hmm, maybe I'm getting too old," which is why I'm reluctant.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound spoiled. You need to go out and live on your own in the real world ASAP.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:51 AM

Dude you need a serious wake up call. GET OUT. Now. Part of growing up is being responsible for yourself. Grow up.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:51 AM

I'm 18 and a senior in HS. I'll turn 19 before I enroll in college and move out. Am I a loser?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This response alone tells me it is time for you to move away from home. You know that you should be paying your own keep, you want to prove it to yourself and your parents. The current arrangement is not letting you do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually... I'm starting to side more with the guys that say that you should move out. I'd strongly consider doing it if only for a few months (read 4-8 months).

I've already done it, in college and for work, so I've had some of that experience already. It's been pretty rough on me, actually, other than when I was living with friends.

So I'd suggest moving out with friends.

But yeah, it's a worthwhile experience (hella-costly, though, especially if you start buying restaurant food every day).
Old 10-06-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually... I'm starting to side more with the guys that say that you should move out. I'd strongly consider doing it if only for a few months (read 4-8 months).

I've already done it, in college and for work, so I've had some of that experience already. It's been pretty rough on me, actually, other than when I was living with friends.

So I'd suggest moving out with friends.

But yeah, it's a worthwhile experience (hella-costly, though, especially if you start buying restaurant food every day).

[/ QUOTE ]

The trick is, there are no tricks to moving out. You WILL be broke at some point, and learn to scrape by, you WILL have trouble with random [censored], and it WILL be stressful to find time to do laundry/grocery/clean etc. But you WILL learn SO much, and you will have a great time. I do suggest living with people the first time you move out, so you learn how to live with other people besides your family, but I like living on my own now, but I couldnt imagine moving out by myself for the first time.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep us posted on how you like real life when you move out. This should be funny. You better find a girl that will cook/clean/dress you before you leave your house to take your mom's place. Good luck on that one! lol