Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 04:31 PM

Default \"it\'s more manly to cry on the inside\" n/t

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] nt
Old 10-31-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Shutting up the Table Coach

Hi Blarg,

Yeah, yeah, eyewitness testimony is not reliable, and therefore the theory wonks know more about what people experience than the people who experience it. Sorry, but I've heard that old saw way too often in arguments, and oddly, almost invariably by someone who wasn't there trying to claim greater expertise than someone who was there.

This is hardly the sort of event in which eyewitnesses testimony breaks down: high-stress, momentary, and very often involving cross-racial identification. This was listening to a speech on the radio ... a speech my friend heard many times later, because it was a profound moment in post-war German history.

But hey ... what would she know? She was only ... there. German is only ... her native language. I'm sure Fred has far greater credentials than this, so definitely take Fred's word for it.

Cris
Old 11-01-2004, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But hey ... what would she know? She was only ... there. German is only ... her native language. I'm sure Fred has far greater credentials than this, so definitely take Fred's word for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are as dishonest as you are foolish. There's no need (and I have no desire) for anyone to take my word for anything. As I've pointed out, the peculiar part of the research I've pointed too, is that it actually deals in testable hypotheses, addresses technical questions of German grammar and idiosyncracies of Berlin vocabulary, these no doubt are boring compared to identity politics from someone committed to saying whatever they please for strategic value in an argument. Congrats. You win again.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are as dishonest as you are foolish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your overconfidence is your weakness.

P.S. - I didn't think it was possible for someone to come off like a #1, Grade A, sanctimonious, "holier than thou" know-it-all in under 10 posts, but I see I was terribly mistaken. Nicely done.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:42 PM

Hey Al. In the initial stages of my poker play, I made the rookie mistake of explaining myself constantly. No more, for the reasons that you said.

And in spite of the thread hijacking, this has got to be one of my favorite threads ever. Nice responses fellas [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2004, 10:33 PM

The ability to be a smartass comes from within....Every situation is different, so one comment may work well in one situation but flop in another...I have developed this skill to perfection. What I look for is personality type and work off that...You have to remember though...People have the right to free speech...However they don't have to right to be heard...Ignoring them, dismissing them as beginners who lack the skills to teach I find works really well for tilting another player....Rent some George Carlin tapes too...