Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Re: A few questions for Raymer, other pros, or anyone else in the know...

[ QUOTE ]
you know what's funny jonjon, I've had several ppl suggest that I write a book.... How ridiculous is that. I've been playing professionally for like a year, I could barely fill like a magazine article, much less a book.
Gavin Griffin

[/ QUOTE ] If this is gavin , nice game agaisnt phill, you plsyed that rush awsome and took the bracelet vn.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: A few questions for Raymer, other pros, or anyone else in the know...

Hi NicksDad,

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I'd say that was miling it or not. I mean if I won it and someone approached me and said " I'll give you 500,000 (yes a guess) to write a book". I'm pretty sure I'd get a patent attorney to look it over and jump at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, the $500,000 for writing (or co-writing) a 2+2 book is, I'm sure, a gross overestimate. The book wouldn't pay out its advance. If I had to hazard a guess, given that it is a niche market, I'd divide by 50 and probably be in the ballpark.

Second, I wouldn't go to a patent attorney to look over a book contract. I'd go to an entertainment attorney, who is much more likely to know the industry standards, in terms of things like derivative rights, advance schedules, option and reversion clauses, and the like.

Cris
Old 10-26-2004, 01:00 PM

I am a lil dry ya know.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea...I think that was the joke.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I'd get a patent attorney to look it over and jump at it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since Greg is a patent attorney, he may be willing to look it over for you! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TY [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2004, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi NicksDad,

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I'd say that was miling it or not. I mean if I won it and someone approached me and said " I'll give you 500,000 (yes a guess) to write a book". I'm pretty sure I'd get a patent attorney to look it over and jump at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, the $500,000 for writing (or co-writing) a 2+2 book is, I'm sure, a gross overestimate. The book wouldn't pay out its advance. If I had to hazard a guess, given that it is a niche market, I'd divide by 50 and probably be in the ballpark.

Second, I wouldn't go to a patent attorney to look over a book contract. I'd go to an entertainment attorney, who is much more likely to know the industry standards, in terms of things like derivative rights, advance schedules, option and reversion clauses, and the like.

Cris

[/ QUOTE ]

TY Cris

First off I totally trust you when it comes to the money part of it. If I remember correctly you're a writer.

The part about getting a patent attorney was my weird dry sense of humor. I think Greg is a patent attorney. So I guess I was telling him to consult himself. Obviously I'm not as funny as I thought I was. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]