Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Now David, I am angry!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's time you stopped berating players about the math. You are perhaps mathematically correct +/- a few % about the hands you may use for example, but it isn't the only answer!

[/ QUOTE ]

My father used to have a phrase that he would say to me from time to time, back when I was a teenager and was going through the “I’m smarter than my parents” phase:

“Your mind has slammed shut like a steel trap. You are not hearing what I’m saying because you don’t like the way I’m saying it.”

The same thing is happening here. Listen to David and you might learn something. Don’t get all wrapped up in how he says it. He may sound gruff and offend your sensibilities, but you might also learn something. Aside from the specific question that sparked this discussion, the message here is now very simple: learn the basics (math), then learn the advanced techniques (reading players). Any other way is losing poker.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:14 PM

Challenging professors are the best professors, they force you to back it up and that is the only way to really learn the fundies. He is demanding of the math and rightfully so... but this is clearly not 'all math' so we might not have to spend so much time on the math vs non-math argument if he was just a little more flexible in such statements...
Old 10-25-2004, 10:17 PM

The reason I said this particular problem was almost all math was because in this very specific scenario its pretty clearcut which hands you will and won't be called with. I may have assumed too much in thinking that was obvious.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:19 AM

Big fan of 2+2 publishing and new to the site. I love when David posts questions...but Dave, please give some answers to us common folk sometimes!!! lol That is all.

-Daver

PS- What are some good books or websites that can be found on poker math? I am new to poker and I honestly and truly never thought to calculate anything on your question. Though I see it clearly now. Do any of your books teach this kind of stuff? If not where can I learn to think like this and have practice problems. Very interested.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:50 AM

Hi illguitar,

For this type of problem, The Theory of Poker and, to a lesser extent, Tournament Poker for Advanced Players are probably your best resources in terms of the math angle. If you have a good foundation in probability mathematics, those should be adequate. If you don't have a good foundation in probability mathematics, you should get a good primer on the topic and study it.

Cris