Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: How Often Do You Donk The Turn Here?

This is kind of one of those situations that I was talking about. I think this is def a hand that you want to get to showdown with but the real question is how do you do it? Checkraising the flop is always an option, but as you said I think that route gets met with a lot of resistance. Lots of raising on the turn that puts you in tough spots. If I was villian i would fold to your bet here, but usually when I try this move it doesn't work to well for me either. I think I will flop checkraise the highes majority of the time, pull your line some of the time, and just call down some of the time to if I know he likes to keep firing.

I'm not real sure if I like the bet in this situation though because that T seems like a card that could have very easily hit him. What are you doing if he raises you in this spot? I still want to see a showdown as I'm not really convinced you are behind, but its not a fun situation.

What was your reasoning behind not three betting out of the BB? Were you just looking to switch it up or what? This seem like a hand that you probably win easily on the turn if you would have three bet pf. I dunno, just my thoughts, at least I responded this time [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A-high is calling around 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is pretty good for our hero the overwhelming majority of the time.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, you beat me to it. I would love it if A high called me 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it too. Just pointing out why I have not yet had the pleasure of trying Jeff's line as a bluff [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 09:58 AM

Default RESULTS

Villian called my turn bet. Then I rivered a queen. I bet and he called...my hand was good. Villian had 99. So, say you 3-bet this preflop, I assume the action is going to go bet-raise-call, check-call and fold the river if it's blank? Or if you just called with the plan to checkraise most flops, the betting goes/check-bet-raise-call, bet-call, you still bet river if it blanks?

Just interested in some thoughts on how you play hands that develop like this since they seem to come up all the time.

Jeff
Old 12-06-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Ugh, wish you hadn't posted results. I think 99% of the posters here would have said to bet the river if it didn't improve you if they hadn't seen you were called by 99 (including myself likely).

Which probably exposes how checking the river on a whiff is a worthy idea. To induce a bluff that is, you're obviously calling regardless.

- Jim
Old 12-06-2005, 12:20 PM

you dont have position and its heads up.. i dont minid the flat call here since you'll be first to act on all of the rounds. i'm not so sure i'd raise this flop, i think on a raggy flop you can hope to spike an A or a Q or get a cheap showdown unless you feel he has something like a small/medium pair.. thats all relative to how you've seen him play though.

but still.. i like the flat call preflop, and the raise the turn.. good thing for you that you spiked the Q. say you dont spike the Q and he comes firing.. then depending on the card that comes you have a decision to make depending on you opponent.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:17 PM

Jeff,

This seems a bit results oriented to me. I mean we can go further and say since he had 99 you should have checked and folded already somewhere. I'm more interested in what you were doing on a blank river, and more importantly, why.

I never take your line because, even now as I look back on it, I can't figure out if we are value betting or bluffing. And when I don't know that, I make more bad decisions. One of those other lines you mentioned would be more comfortable for me because I would feel like I know where I'm at in the hand depending on how the action went. So you tell me, what was happening on that turn, were you bluffing? Not wanting to give a free card?

Thanks,
DeathDonkey
Old 12-06-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just interested in some thoughts on how you play hands that develop like this since they seem to come up all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the villian is a lot more likely to fold if you check/raise the turn than a donk bet. So if you had a 6 you might want to donk bet and weaker hands check/raise.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:20 PM

I really hate these hands when you are oop. I think they are the toughest for me to play out of all types. My normal line would be to 3 bet preflop and then bet/call his raise, then either check/call or check/fold depending on the turn. I don't see much value in calling the river if you called the turn here unless villian is known to bluff even on the river (which I'm finding out many people will).

If you check raise the flo and then lead the turn and he still calls I think its time to check/fold the river unless the board is very draw heavy and nothing comes in on the river. I think if you checkraise the turn (which is the most risky, but also probably your best chance at getting him to fold something that beats you) and he still calls you, unless the board is very draw heavy, you have to let it go again. If villian can withstand a turn checkrais, he is most likely going to showdown. These hands give me a lot of trouble.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:34 PM

so we all know its a normal PF 3-bet but preflop isnt the point here.

When you have jsut called the raise from the BB I do this turn donk a lot whenever the flop is rags and you get a 9, T or J on the turn. As long as your opponent is an OK player I think this is often a pretty decent move--even without a hand with showdown value like your AQo.

If you oopponent is more aggressive postflop and there is a larger cahnce he will raise you then I like the turn donk following the flop call a lot more on a hand without showdown value.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I play in games where this would work very much though since A-high is calling around 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but he's beating almost every Ace high.