Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 03:12 PM

Default 2/4 straight draw hand, did i take it too far?

I'm thinking the answer is yes before I even post this, but some opinions on streets before 6th would be appreciated.

I've played with villain for a while, he seems pretty solid of a player. His 5th street check means to me he very likely has a pair of Aces or queens, and he's checking because he's afraid of the fact that two players have been calling him.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.88 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.94 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (2.94 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

River - (4.94 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (4.94 BB)
Old 11-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: 2/4 straight draw hand, did i take it too far?

Third is a clear fold. Chasing hands like this will make you popular but poor.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:26 PM

Easy fold on 3rd, but if you're gonna go for it, fold 4th if you don't catch the 9.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:30 PM

Interesting read. Are you sure? There are not that many rocks around.
The 3rd street call is fine, but you should probably fold on 4th. Against an unknown player you can call 6th because people don’t usually check aces on 5th so he figures to have two pairs at best. Since you think he has aces up, however, you should fold. The pot is small and you only have 6 outs. There are 35 unseen cards, so you need like 6:1 to call, but you’re only getting 4:1.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 PM

As for third street, given that his strt cards are live, given that 2 aces are out, given that many hearts are out and given that it is not raised, it seems worthwhile to take a peak for a dollar. Man, I've taken peaks for much more than that.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 3rd street call is fine

[/ QUOTE ]

No way.

This is a big BI game. Limping suxs
Old 11-14-2005, 05:20 PM

I don’t know Jon. I’m usually very much opposed to these speculative hands, and I might even fold this one while 4-tabling, but I really don’t think it’s a mistake to call here, even in this structure.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don’t know Jon. I’m usually very much opposed to these speculative hands, and I might even fold this one while 4-tabling, but I really don’t think it’s a mistake to call here, even in this structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ug, ok, maybe it doesn't completely reak on 3rd. But I think you have to catch a 9/T/J to continue past 4th (assuming there is a bet).
Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 PM

Agreed.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:23 PM

Im going to go in the fold 3rd camp here. I can see a case for the limp if you had a two suited cards, but even then I can't imagine you make much if any money with this starting hand in the long run.