Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Bout as sexy as the hot tub pic (Bay 101 40-80)

This hand is from the Bay 101 40/80. Typical mix of good, marginal, and poor players, though the weak spots aren't as horrifically weak as they normally are. The villian is Sarah, an Asian chick (who has the world's largest forehead, as a point of reference). My take on her is limited, as I am hovering between 20/40 and 40/80. She has the skill set to beat 20/40 (IMO), but is somewhat outclassed in 40/80. Decent hand reader, but she openraises and three bets WAY light.

Nine handed. I openraise A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from MP, she three bets from the cutoff. The flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and I check call. The turn is the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and I checkraise. The river is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and I check, looking to checkraise.

The two best players in the game, one of whom is a friend and a significant 80/160 winner gave me a not so subtle smirk after the river went check-check and I tabled my hand. I didn't like my river play for a few minutes, then I decided I did, or it was at least close.

Mike l. and others: was this sexy?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Bout as sexy as the hot tub pic (Bay 101 40-80)

edit: Not bad, good spot to induce a bluff or bet from weaker heart
Old 09-26-2005, 04:47 PM

Y = ?

Y now magically equals 10 - thanks.

That being the case, I think you should just bet.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-26-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Y = ?

Y now magically equals 10 - thanks.

That being the case, I think you should just bet.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Prol'ly.

I think she seriously considered firing a bet on the river, either for value or as a bluff. Her instamuck smacked of not having a heart though.

I'm really having problems putting her on a non-heart hand other than 66-99. I wouldn't be SHOCKED if she had AK/AQ no heart, but I'd be really surprised.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:26 PM

Sarah reraises a lot stronger than you think. If anything, she's too timid. I don't like your hand on the flop. Calling isn't as close as you think it is. Nice suckout on this hand, but you have to bet the river here. I also don't like the checkraise on the turn. I bet it out. Every time. She's checking behind a smaller pair, and AK, too. Every time. If she raises you, you are beaten. Every time. Then again, she may well play very differently against you than me, but I don't know.

Oh yeah, and she doesn't have the world's largest forehead. Boris does.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:36 PM

I think I've played against her, not a whole lot, but from what I remember she was somewhat tight/aggressive, and better than the average 40/80 donkey there.

Anyway, I think you make more in this river situation by just betting out.

The value of your river plan over simply betting out comes from:

1. She calls your checkraise with a worse hand (IMO this does not happen very often)

2. Inducing her to bluff a hand she would have folded (Your turn chkraise is scary on that board, so I doubt she will bluff often)

3. Pwnage factor (maybe she goes on tilt, I dunno)

I think those things happen a lot less often than the times she just pays off a river bet with a loser; something like a pocket pair with a heart i.e 99/88, or an overpair with no heart, hands that she may be happy to take a free showdown with.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:04 PM

Fianchetto, good analysis. I've played several session with Sara as well. I don't need to add anything beyond what you said in this post.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:10 PM

always wait on the results.

you should 4 bet preflop against this sort of player at least some of the time. punish them for 3 betting light and
immediately make them regret it.

the turn c/r is good.

the river is close but you can bet because she will call with a lot of hands (like KT, 88, or 66 or something) out of pure tilt, but be willing to check something like that with no heart. so your river c/r relies on her having a heart, 5 of which are already accounted for. she is probably scared of you and will not bet that river with enough hands for you to c/r.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:16 PM

Not sexy enough for us, man.

Bet the river.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sarah reraises a lot stronger than you think. If anything, she's too timid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll give you that. I still think she's a little light with the openraising... A9o UTG, QJo EMP, etc. but I'll try to gauge her 3 betting standards next time I play against her.