Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 11:52 PM

Default The Good, The Bad...The Ugly? (9/20)

I was a bad boy today, and cut my session way short after hitting a good run of cards early & piling up more than my expected take from the full day after only 2 hours. So, not a whole lot to choose from tonight.

Hand 1

Reads: I don't have many hands on any opponent here, but UTG has looked slightly loose/aggressive preflop, normal postflop, MP2 has been very TAG-ish, and CO is slightly loose/very passive. My table image doesn't really matter in this hand, but it's solid--I've had some very good hands go to showdown on this table.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Hero folds...

__________________________________________________ _________

Hand 2

Reads: UTG+1 is a borderline TAG--a little too tight &amp; a little too passive, though. Your basic mouse. CO is a donkariffic LAG who is (over)playing &gt;90% of his hands. I haven't been at the table all that long, but I've already been forced to showdown two pretty mediocre hands that I isolated on the donk with.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO folds.

River: (8.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 10.16 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>

__________________________________________________ _________

Bonus Hand

No content here--just thought it was funny. My first hand at this table, but I've already got a read on MP3 as being loose/aggressive.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: (2.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: (2.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 2.16 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 2.16 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: The Good, The Bad...The Ugly? (9/20)

Hand #1 I'd probably just bet out on the flop although I do like the fold when it's 2 back to you.

Hand #2 I like.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:52 AM

I agree with Jake, I typically bet out the flop on hand 1, but I don't necessarily think it's better. When it's two back to you with three left to act I don't see how you can call this. Even though you are probably no worse than second best, I think folding is your best option.

I don't see any other way of playing hand 2.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:06 AM

Agree with Jake too.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:21 AM

I dislike trying to handle 3 hands &amp; 1 time enough so that in didn't continue on the post when I saw what was happening. I don't mean this in a negative way, but I thought maybe it was proper to let you know, because maybe you're losing some other people's attention, too. Good luck to you.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:50 AM

i hope you know YOU should have open folded in the bonus hand. *strict glare*
Old 09-21-2005, 07:53 PM

lol Errant. Y'all should know by now that I hate folding my blind. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Okay...this is what I was thinking with these two hands:

I thought that Hand 1 was the one that I played well. I didn't lead the flop because I had a very weak top pair on a very draw-heavy flop. I just didn't see the value in betting it; if it had come back one bet to me, especially HU, then obviously I'm continuing. But coming back 2 bets to me + a coldcaller, that made it a ridiculously easy fold. As it turns out, MP2 took down the pot with a river bet, but I wouldn't have improved with the turn/river anyway.

I did not like my play in Hand 2, particularly involving the turn bet. This is where my read on UTG+1 comes into play; I actually considered folding this hand preflop, but finally decided that I just couldn't fold AJs for 1 SB, getting about 5:1. If it was offsuit, I would've folded--I was looking at an EP raise by a very tight, fairly passive opponent. I check/raised the flop more for value with my flush draw than because I flopped TPTK, because I was pretty sure that it wasn't good at that time.

What I failed to take into account was, what does a mouse raise from UTG+1 and then bet/call this flop with that I beat? He's probably check/calling or even check/folding with AK/AQs, and he's likely folding to the check/raise with TT. That leaves only overpairs/flopped sets among his probable range of EP raising hands. The presence of CO still in the hand makes my lead a little better, but I honestly felt that I should've check/called the turn vs. this opponent--a free card is very unlikely to hurt me if I am somehow ahead of his AK/AQ (2 outs for him) or TT (1 or 2 outs), but checking might induce a river call in those cases if the river is a non-spade.

As it turned out, I was right, but he let me off the hook. UTG+1 held 99 for a flopped set &amp; turned full house. I asked him after the hand why he didn't raise the turn, and he said that he was planning to raise the river...until I caught my own 2-outer to counterfeit his hand.

BTW, if anyone's curious, I was planning to check/raise the turn in Hand 3, had MP3 bet there. I would've folded in a heartbeat to a river bet.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike trying to handle 3 hands &amp; 1 time enough so that in didn't continue on the post when I saw what was happening. I don't mean this in a negative way, but I thought maybe it was proper to let you know, because maybe you're losing some other people's attention, too. Good luck to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally really like these hands, Harv. I think a few examples of hands that are played well are good for the forum, and I think trying to figure out which you felt was misplayed is good for me. But I still don't like your 77[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hand [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

As for this episode, I'll just chime in that I agree with Jake.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:16 PM

My own fault for not working the directions into this one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That leaves only overpairs/flopped sets among his probable range of EP raising hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think that someone who's "a little too passive" is holding QQ/KK here?

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly felt that I should've check/called the turn vs. this opponent

[/ QUOTE ]

But if he's a mouse, he's likely only going to 'bluff' hands that he would have called with anyways. And if you check, you'll kill your river action from him if you get a flush.

Between the chance that you're freerolling another AJ, the chance that he calls with a reverse-dominated hand, and the fact that you're still value-betting the donk, it seems to me like there's alot of value in the turn lead?