Old 08-05-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: 75-150 River Spot

[ QUOTE ]
"Maybe you missed one time"

[/ QUOTE ]

had you drawn out on him recently?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:17 PM

No, but apparently other people did. He was stuck a lot of money, so I didn't really mind him getting upset. Though his spazz for a few minutes before the call was a little uncomfortable. It's a big game and one I don't play too often...unless the game looks good (usually does) AND I'm running well.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, but apparently other people did. He was stuck a lot of money, so I didn't really mind him getting upset. Though his spazz for a few minutes before the call was a little uncomfortable. It's a big game and one I don't play too often...unless the game looks good (usually does) AND I'm running well.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

It does suck to be your opponent though.. I mean, he caught a flush, you checked to him, he has to bet it, right? So he makes the correct play, gets checkraised, which is a real kick in the nuts.. knows you have it, and now has to fork over $150 to "keep you honest." Poker sucks sometimes, and seems like these situations happen in spurts like what happened to your opponent.

I should be a bad beat counselor.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:34 PM

Believe me, I've had some firsthand experience with getting my ass handed to me this year. It's not fun, but you have to play through it and keep your head together. Cracking and ego is what kills the vast majority of players.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Hello,Jeff! \"Ego\" huh? Hmmm Those who exult themselves ...

WILL BE HUMBLED. The GREAT TEACHER's statement applies to poker too. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
SittingBull
Old 08-05-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ego is what kills the vast majority of players.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that ego is what keeps most people alive. They think "I'm better, it will turn around"
Old 08-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Hello,Jon! I think Jeff is referring to EXCESSIVE ego that...

CLOUDS one's thinking. However,a moderate ego is good for poker.
SittingBull
Old 08-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Hello,Jeff! \"Ego\" huh? Hmmm Those who exult themselves ...

I'm not really sure what you're talking about. I don't have an ego really and know they're are plenty of people that play better than I do. I was responding to a post about running bad, which I have in the last few months (particularly online, not so much live). It is humbling, but I can choose to crack or play through it and keep my head straight. Which is what I'm doing and I'm slowly crawling back. I think many people would crack and go broke after some of what has transpired for me in the last few months. As for ego, I was mentioning that I think that's another thing that destroys people...the inability to see when your edge has evaporated at a certain level or has become so small variance can swallow you. Persisting at those levels gets people broke.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2005, 02:54 PM

Ego can be good, but it can be very dangerous if it clouds your judgement and lets you talk yourself into playing games where you don't have an edge or your edge is very small b/c you think you can compete with the best. Many people follow the Peter Principle, move up to their level of incompetence, and then stay there. It has destroyed many people that knew a lot more about poker than I do and I have seen people go down in flames firsthand. All you have to do is look how many of the regular mid/hi posters are still around from 5 years ago.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2005, 03:38 PM

This is interesting. I really try and only play in a game if I know that I am one of the better players.

Its really hard to tell when specific people are better than you, cause you don't usually see what they fold when they're behind. And when we lose, it's often because they started with a better hand then we did.. But we usually have some reason to play, so we justify our play that way.

I've taken a few shots at games outside of my comfort zone. I think overall it makes me a better player. I couldn't imagine trying to claw and scratch my way in a challenging game though.

What kind of players do you think earn more money? Those who play for the competition, or those who play to make $$?