Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Re: London Police screwed up big time

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are four possibilities here:

2) He thought the police were after him for some other illegal activities that he was involved in.

[/ QUOTE ]

It turns out that he was breaking the law after all, and rather than face up to his crime, he ran.

Unlucky circumstances for him, but he acted as the guilty person he was, and the police acted with good motives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see how the police could have avoided this, unforunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither can I, although I wonder why they didnt apprehend him on the bus, but I guess they were worried he would have blown his bomb there.

For those saying they wont come to London now cos of the police doing this I really dont understand how if the bombs havent put you off this has.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The police need to be held responsible for murder if this is the case.

Whether he would have been guilty or not how can they shoot someone who is no longer a threat?

I too would run from some people in regular clothes yelling and chasing me, especially when the bombings by terrorists just took place recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hypothetical...

What IF he was a suicide bomber and could detonate the bomb while pinned down?

Do you wait half an hour why you check this guy out, or do you stop him potentially killing everyone on the train?

It's a tough call and thankfully it is not one I'll ever have to make.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whether he would have been guilty or not how can they shoot someone who is no longer a threat?

I too would run from some people in regular clothes yelling and chasing me, especially when the bombings by terrorists just took place recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hypothetical...

Do you wait half an hour why you check this guy out, or do you stop him potentially killing everyone on the train?

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. The (police didn't just shoot without warning, they (apparently) approached him, made it known they were police, and he ran away from then, jumped over the ticket barriers and ran towards a train. The SOP is for the officers to shout "POLICE STOP!" whilst pursuing him. I find it very, very hard to believe that he didn't know that the gunmen chasing him were police. It was unfortunate that he was wearing a large overcoat. If he wasn't, perhaps the police could have assessed he was of minimal imminent danger and spared his life. But as the situation unfolded, I would have been disappointed with the guys protecting my city if they didn't kill this guy.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hypothetical...

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. The (police didn't just shoot without warning, they (apparently) approached him, made it known they were police, and he ran away from then, jumped over the ticket barriers and ran towards a train. The SOP is for the officers to shout "POLICE STOP!" whilst pursuing him. I find it very, very hard to believe that he didn't know that the gunmen chasing him were police. It was unfortunate that he was wearing a large overcoat. If he wasn't, perhaps the police could have assessed he was of minimal imminent danger and spared his life. But as the situation unfolded, I would have been disappointed with the guys protecting my city if they didn't kill this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that this guy left the same block of flats that they believed the bombers lived at (same block, different flat), came out of the same entrance they came out, wearing bulky, out-of-season clothing, within a half-hour of the time that they had come out the day before. He then got onto a bus and rode to the _exact same_ tube station that all 4 would-be bombers had gotten into the tube at the previous day, looking around at the police who were tailing him the whole time (b/c he was scared they were going to stop him about his visa), wearing bulky clothing, and then jumped the gates and ran for the train.

I have some questions about why he was allowed to board the bus, but I don't think on those facts that the police made a mistake in shooting him. Although I can't remember another occasion in my life siding with the police in a case like this, I feel that they behaved reasonably and unfortunately shot an innocent person.