Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 11:32 AM

Default KJ blind defense

No notes on the villain.

I'm curious about how I played just about every street:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (7 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 06-11-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: KJ blind defense

PF you're obviously stealing, which is fine since you probably are a favorite over his possible range of hands. He's showing a lot of aggression, but he's probably just defending his blinds.

You have overcards on the flop, I think the call there is probably fine, and you're going to fold the turn unimproved.

I would have raised the turn here. You have top pair, second best kicker HEADS UP. If he raises you back I think I'd check/call down. If he calls you bet the river and call a raise.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:57 AM

i'd find a raise somewhere on the big streets unless this guy is a cronic non-adjuster to situations. i.e. he'll never cap with less than premium hands in blind battles. calling down against an unknown isn't the end of the world here but you should start thinking a little more aggressively in these spots.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:00 PM

Because its only four handed SB has a huge range of hands. I think a turn raise is the right play. If he leads the river again after I think I would just call.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:05 PM

I would play it the same. If you're ahead, you collect bets every street... if behind, you don't get reraised and lose the least amount.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:08 PM

Yeah I didn't notice it was only 4 handed. Is this 6max? If it is, and you have no reads, assume a much more crazy aggressive player than in full ring unless proven otherwise (I say this b/c you say you have no reads).

In 6 max, hitting TPGK like this, I'd check/raise that turn. You know he'll bet after you check on the turn. You know he'll probably see it to SD. I check/raise, and if he raises I think I'd even cap. Then lead the river.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:21 PM

I also like raising the turn. If you pay off QQ-AA, oh well.

Note that he can't check-raise here, villain in SB is always first to act.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:23 PM

Oops my bad, had their positions reversed in my mind. Doesnt really matter though, I'm going for maximum extraction anyway.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 PM

It's all good
Old 06-11-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Raise which big street?

Thanks guys. Yeah, I guess preflop and the flop are pretty standard.

I agree that I should have popped a big street but my question is, which one to raise?

In this case, the 9 is a good card to raise as hands like AA-QQ, AJ, will be hard pressed to 3-bet me but of course I didn't know that on the turn.

The turn is draw heavy so it may look like I'm semi-bluffing a draw which may induce a reraise from big hands and overpairs. Of course it may look like a strong hand and weak hands like AK, KQ, AQ, A9, may decide to give up.

As you can see, I'm a little confused which street is best to raise.

Luke