Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 10:41 PM

Default flopped quads -- raise the turn or wait?

Any and all comments welcome, but I'm primarily wondering if I should raise the turn here or if it's best to wait in this case.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (9.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 25.50 BB
Old 05-25-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: flopped quads -- raise the turn or wait?

Raise the flop. Nobody will credit you with quads; very few will credit you with trips; flush draws, any deuce, any PP, and some overcards (particularly holding a big [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) will come along.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:46 PM

I suck with quads, I'll leave it to others.

At first glance however, your line makes a hell of a lot of sense. I *might* raise the turn in the hopes that the one card flushes call, but, really, I don't have a problem with this at all.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:58 PM

Hero left a lot of bets on the table IMO. Any flush draw and other weak draws will call 2 bets on the flop. Turn completed flush draw so he can goto war on the turn with them.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:11 PM

If someone nailed their flush on the turn, couldn't I expect one of the players behind to raise for me? I also waited on the flop to see if those behind me would come along and let their hand improve on the turn (772 board is pretty weak looking). Could be flawed thinking, but that was my reasoning at the time. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 PM

not trying to poop on your post, but it probably doesnt matter too much how you play your flopped quads.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:24 PM

You must hate money if you couldn't find the right most button anywhere before the river.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:33 PM

How is this so clear-cut? I raise the turn, MP2 and CO fold, SB and BB call -- that's 4 BB's in on the turn. I call the turn like I did, MP2 and CO call as well -- 4 BB's on the turn as well and it gives them another card to catch a hand they like. Sure I'd raise if there weren't 2 flop callers yet to act after me. In a pot with this many players with someone else betting FOR me, I like keeping everyone around as long as possible. I concede that MAYBE raising the turn is better, but I don't think it's nearly as clear a decision as you make it out to be.

Not to mention the possibility that someone behind me made their flush and will get into a raising war with the SB.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is this so clear-cut?

[/ QUOTE ]

People are willing to cold call with 4 hearts here, but not the river.

That is the deciding factor.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:37 PM

def. wait till the river. Its a rare occasion when you absolutly cripple the deck like this. If it were heads up I'd start firing on the turn but 5 way like this, you want them to make a hand.