Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2004, 04:32 PM

Default well played

I like the raise on the flop, too much action or too many players and you are done. I think the ace of hearts is a great card for you. Now you only have to worry about a q/j/10 with heart. I think the check turn is defintely the best play, you will induce a call from worse hands and lose the least when you are behind, plus you are heads up and virtually no free cards are going to hurt you. I don't play on the internet, (can't beat the games) but I think this was well played.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: I\'ll listen this time

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, my take - and I'd like to hear from those who disagree: it makes absolutely no difference as to what you do. Bet the turn for value; check to induce a (possible) bluff - or check fold the river (player dependent).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I pretty much disagree on all acounts, and agree with the poster who said you make the most money by checking the turn to induce a bluff or collect a more likely river call. But the main point I disagree with is that there is no way you could ever fold the river after checking the turn, + going through all the leg work to knock out higher flush draws. (Player dependant) doesn't come close to making a case.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Re: well played

Hero bet the turn; he did not check.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:56 PM

Right, I was referring to Sherbert who proposed you could play the hand anyway you want including checking then folding the river.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:00 PM

Right, and I was responding to obi--one who thought hero checked it through on the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think your response to Sherbert was accurate.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:02 PM

Default 1800Gambler - You don\'t have to listen

I know you caught some flack in your previous post about diagreeing with everyone, but I won't hold it against you. I learn the most from debate and multiple perspectives so if you got something to say don't hold your tongue.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Post flop Kevin

My post was confusing. I'm not so tight that I wouldn't limp with 77 after 2 limpers from MP, as Gambler did here. I meant post flop. I thought raising was a reach on that flop.

The other point I made was about the play of small-mid pairs in general. I remember someone a while back, I think it was Astro, say how pockets are the money on Party. He wasn't kidding because they'll coldcall your big pair UTG raise and play h/u, dominated, and win more frequently than you'd think. That's what I see anyway.

You're not the only one shaking his head at 33 as he drags the pot away from your KK. Online's answer is that you're playing so many more hands. I guess that's it.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:10 PM

Default Right on Mark

Debate and improvement is what it's all about. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Post flop Kevin

It happens 1/5 of the time. That's often enough to notice a lot of occurrences of it online. In a solid game where someone would fold 77 or 88 to an early position raise you are going to see less of these bad beats. But in a loose game where people call down with a mid-pocket pair regardless, there are gonna be plenty of times where they hit a set.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Post flop Kevin

Check the turn, call/bet the river. *seems* like a pretty standard play. YOu're not going to get moved off the best hand this way, and if you have him beat now, you're only going to be beat by a filled up set on the river...and even at that you're only gonna lose 1 more bet. If you knew he had a set would be the only reason to bet the turn.