Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2005, 01:33 PM

Default My brain is fried....and apparently empty too

This is my first post on this forum, and I am going to pull the annoying newbie post, so sorry in advance...and to those who help, thanks in advance.

For some reason, in the past 2 weeks, I seem to have forgotten a lot of the odds concepts in gambling and poker in general. Basically, I need help re-learning the fundamentals.

1. Just as a reminder, for pot odds, If my chances of hitting a winning hand are less than the odds the pot is offering, I am getting the worst of it, and should fold (notw: this is ignoring implied odds). So if I am a 5-1 dog, and the pot is offering 3-1, I should take the express train to the muck pile...and vice versa. Just clarify that for me, I cannot find any books right now (in the process of moving) so I need an answer please.

2. I still have trouble understanding the concept of reverse implied odds. I find the explanation in TOP is confusing...does anyone have a more simplistic explanation.

3. This is more of the general probability and gambling questions. I need help calculating EV. The formula for doing it is escaping me. And then, I need help (examples and etc.) about what a +EV bet is. I only ask this because last night after a game fmy friend offered me a game that he drew any club, out of a fair deck, he wins, and if he doesnt, I win. There are no odds, just straight dollar for dollar. I know that I am a 3-4 favorite, but how does that translate into EV?