Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 03:53 AM

Default How do you adjust for an uber-donkbettor?

25-50 4-handed

I have position on villian. He is playing 60% of his hands, and virtually all BB hands (but almost never raises preflop). When the flop comes and he is first to act, he bets out 90% of the time. If he is not raised, he bets all streets like 80% of the time (but it took some adjustment to even know this). If there was a bet in front of him, he'd call with a pair or draw, fold other wise (even K3 pair of 3's in one case, all the way to the river).

Play more hands since he is playing junk? Play less because you're showdown committed if you call the flop? Limp behind to keep the pot small preflop so you can fold more safely postflop?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: How do you adjust for an uber-donkbettor?

On the button, of course raise your strong hands. Depending on how the SB plays, I'd probably limp some hands like 89, QT.

What does villain do when raised? Revert to calling with any pair or draw and fold otherwise?

against villains who will almost guaranteed put in 2.5bb postflop, I am usually willing to liberally play any hand with showdown value. But I think that I sometimes get carried away with that idea.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:02 AM

If you have showdown value just wait to raise him on the river.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:32 AM

If you can characterize his play that specifically you should be able to really make a lot of money.

the rest of your question is just math, run it for each situation.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:27 PM

"What does villain do when raised? Revert to calling with any pair or draw and fold otherwise?"

Yup. You'd think he'd do a lot of bet-folding playing like that but he'd call down too.

"But I think that I sometimes get carried away with that idea."

That was the issue - it wasn't just me adjusting to him, the other 2 people in the game had TAGgy stats too. First we were folding too much, then calling too much.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:08 PM

"If you can characterize his play that specifically you should be able to really make a lot of money."

This is exactly why I gave up multitabling.

"the rest of your question is just math, run it for each situation"

Yeah, except there are two other players, and they are seeing what I'm seeing too. Headsup I agree it would be a pokerstove problem.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:31 PM

I think giving up multi-tabling for this reason is -EV, but I also cannot peg my opponents as well as you have here.

use pokerstove, make assumptions about your position and opponents, and run the situatons to answer your questions. There is no blanket answer. But given your description of villain there is a very close to optimal way to play every single hand.

it's kind of like greenstein's dicussion between optimal and perfect, or whatever terms he uses. You have a chance to approach perfect more in this situation.