Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-27-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Final table -AJo

193 Entrants to $30 tourney.
We’re down to final 2 heads up at final table,
I have 100k, he has 60k, blinds are 500-1000,
I am the button.

I do my standard raise to 2800 with AJo. He calls, flop is A87 with 87 in diamonds. He checks, I make my standard continuation bet of half pot ~2500 which has been taking it down a bunch, and he makes a big overbet all-in.

He had been playing pretty tight during whole final table, and when at 3 players left he only played once every 9 hands or so and would push over our steal raises with overbets, so he had been pretty steady in chip count.

I am pretty sure he does not have AK/AQ, but figure sets, twopairs, diamond draws, straight draws, and worse Aces are possible. He has been a bit too tight, and I think I am a better player and have an edge the longer we play. Do you call?

-g
Old 10-27-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Final table -AJo

He could be doing this with Ax of diamonds. Kx of diamonds or any two diamonds for that matter. I don't think a set or two pair here plays that fast. It feels like he wants me out of this hand. Eh tough spot I think I fold and steal blinds and antes relentlessly.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:57 PM

well, you're currently into the hand for ~8k and it will cost about 52k more to call. Calling certainly has merit if he has been playing as you describe by moving all in every so often to make sure he stays even. You do have a monster heads up hand with top pair, decent kicker and there are two draws out there for him to be going for, so he does not necessarily have to have you beat.

I suppose what this comes down to is how often he plays a hand for one of your raises. If he is still only playing 10% of his hands when you raise, then I'd fold here and look for a better spot than this since you will most likely get your 8k back within the next 15-20 hands (and this assumes that you don't make any hands yourself to value bet with).

the blinds are also very low in relation to the stacks, so this also argues for waiting to see if he'll actually play poker with you instead of simply pushing all the time.

you say you have the edge heads up and you have a deep stack for the final two players in a tournament. I'd lean towards a fold, but calling is probably correct against his range.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:04 PM

I would usually re-raise pre flop with any ace against your bet and also with any pair. Would he risk it all with a flush or straight draw? Probably not, but he may do if he thinks you are just doing a continuation bet again. If he thinks you are the better player this makes sense as it's a chance to turn the tables on you and put him in the lead. Despite the deep stacks I'm going for this and think the chances of a weak ace or draw are great enough for me to finish him off now. If not I survive and still have a stack big enough to get back into contention.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:34 PM

You're looking at a draw here far more often than a better made hand. I'd call.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:38 PM

easy fold. you have 95k vs his 65k after folding. the stacks are way deep for HU right now, there's no reason to call here.

what are you reasonably ahead of? absolutely nothing. imo, its the equivalent of calling an open-push from him PF w/ 22. you're hoping for a coinflip.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are you reasonably ahead of? absolutely nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

T9, Ax diamonds, Ax worse than a jack, 65, 96, any two diamonds for that matter...
Why would he overbet push a strong made hand here when hero is not showing strength?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do my standard raise to 2800 with AJo. He calls, flop is A87 with 87 in diamonds. He checks, I make my standard continuation bet of half pot ~2500 which has been taking it down a bunch, and he makes a big overbet all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is tired of your aggression and wants to slow you down. (And it's not a bad play on his part. If you didn't have an ace, you're turbo-mucking right?) There is no reason whatsoever to think you're behind here. Call and win.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:21 PM

Based on the description, I'm inclined to wait for a better spot. I probably fold, although it does smell a lot like a flush draw, by your read I think he very well could have you beat and be afraid you're the one on the draw. You're still going to have a 3:2 chip advantage against a player you have an edge over if you fold, I wouldn't put in 55k with just an A here.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:01 PM

I folded. He later said he had QJ diamonds on this hand, making my fold a big mistake with actual cards.

Still not sure what the right play was, but I think calling might have been better.
-g