Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Limit Holdem Tournament

How'd I play this 5+1 Limit Tourney Hand, Assume dolts, it's a 5+1

Party Poker Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind t15 (10 handed) converter

SB (t1385)
Hero (t710)
UTG (t755)
UTG+1 (t990)
UTG+2 (t775)
MP1 (t1220)
MP2 (t595)
MP3 (t340)
CO (t500)
Button (t730)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.83 SB, t87.5) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (6.41 BB, t192.5) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

River: (9.41 BB, t282.5) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: 10.4166666666667 BB (t312.50)
Old 12-01-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Limit Holdem Tournament

Played allright in my book.

One could argue to call the flop but I doubt that you would have made any more money.

On the river, some would argue to check raise but hindsight is 20/20. The pot was big enough to get a call on the river.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:23 PM

in early position with a lot of players, and having flopped a monster, i wouldn't checkraise the flop.

checkraising the flop here gives poor odds to players between you and the bettor.

you don't mind keeping them all around to hope they hit something (anything).

for that reason i like either betting out on the flop or smoothcalling the flop.

betting out, you're going to get called by all sorts of crap, and maybe someone in later position will raise and you can stick many people for many bets in the hand.

check calling, again, lets more people come along improperly.

the idea in a hand like this is that they (bad players) might take a card off with two overcards or something, figuring if they hit their hand they will be good. so you let them have the odds to hit that hand correctly, knowing that in fact that's not good enough. many bad players will call 2 bets cold with crap anyway, but you lose EV in spots by making it more likely that a bad player will obey the fundamental theorem of poker and fold when they should.

c
Old 12-01-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in early position with a lot of players, and having flopped a monster, i wouldn't checkraise the flop.

checkraising the flop here gives poor odds to players between you and the bettor.

for that reason i like either betting out on the flop or smoothcalling the flop.

betting out, you're going to get called by all sorts of crap, and maybe someone in later position will raise and you can stick many people for many bets in the hand.

the idea in a hand like this is that they (bad players) might take a card off with two overcards or something, figuring if they hit their hand they will be good. so you let them have the odds to hit that hand correctly, knowing that in fact that's not good enough. many bad players will call 2 bets cold with crap anyway, but you lose EV in spots by making it more likely that a bad player will obey the fundamental theorem of poker and fold when they should.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, good reply. I would have just written, "read SSHE."
Old 12-01-2005, 12:43 PM

Citanul you are an inspiration for just such reasons.

Oh and Im reading SSHe right now
Old 12-01-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Cit is right. Go for overcalls. Let someone hit something. Raise like crazy on the turn if they hit their top pair.

When ever the board is paired people want to know if they have a chance with overcards. Check raising tells them that they don't. I might do this if the board were 2 of the same suit though just to protect my hand.

Greg