Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Playing against evteremly loose, maniacal players

I'm in a campus charity tournament, which means there is lots of terrible, loose play. The blinds starts out as 1/2(with 85 starting chips per person). I'm the BB first hand. First hand: UTG(whom I'll call "John" limps, UTG+1 raises 10, folded to me, I fold my ATo, UTG calls (John says "well, someone has to call"). Flop is rags. John bets, early position raiser calls. Turn is another rag. John goes all-in, preflop raiser folds. John shows Q6o, preflop raiser shows QJo.
At this point, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances in this tournament, considering the first hand that happened. The very next hand, when I'm SB, almost everyone limps to me, I complete with KT, John(in the BB) raises, everyone else folds. I stare at the monstrous pots and call the raise. Flop is KJT rainbow. I bet, John raises 30. I know this guy could easily be betting top pair, or much worse, so I call him down, and after the rag rurn comes, call his all-in. He turns over his AQ flopped nut straight, and I don't fillup on the river.
My question is, were my post flop calls correct? Against total maniacs like these, should I have folded my 2 pair and just wait for the pure nuts to make a killing? I feel as if I had just waited Iuntil I got the nuts I could have made money, but I'm not sure giving up 2 pair to a guy that is much more likely to be betting bottom pair or high card than a good hand to be proper strategy.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Playing against evteremly loose, maniacal players

That's a tough one to walk away from, but with a three-broadway flop, you've got to take it cautiously. Still and all, I would have probably done the same thing you did. You figured someone for a draw, not the flopped nuts. Shit happens, you know?

Happened to me on Saturday Night at a home .25/.50 blinds NL game. It's heads up, and I've got about $50 in front of me. I pick up black queens in the small blind/button, and bring it in for $3, hoping that the raise was small enough to get a call from the other guy, and it was.

Flop is 9, 4, 5, rainbow. BB checks, I bet $5, BB calls
Turn is a Jack. BB checks, I bet $5, BB calls.
River is an Ace (no flush), BB bets $5, I raise $10, BB calls.

I declare "Queens" and turn them up. He turned over 4-5 suited for the flopped two pair. Shit happens. I figured him for top pair on the flop, not two-pair (I knew for sure that if a "scare card" fell on the river, he'd represent it; I've been playing against this guy almost every week for a year now). Sometimes, you just take a beat and have to deal with the fact that it really bites, curse your love of this oh, so fickle game, take your lumps, and move to the next hand.