Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Stuck

how about you stop whining about your downstreak, especially since you and everyone else know you are better than most everyone in this forum?

oh, and raise preflop

peace

john nickle
Old 06-30-2005, 02:56 AM

two options:

1. go back down, build up confidence and bankroll slowly, and come back up when comfortable.
2. if it's truly money you can "afford to lose" keep playing your usual limits. however, don't play with the intentions of getting even, as mike caro says, you already are even. play your game, and the money will take care of itself.

good luck
Old 06-30-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but these players just try to get you to fold all the time, so pump your good hands against them when you have them, just call them with your decent/mediocre ones and dump when you don't have anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way that this will work for any extended length of time against the same players. If you are talking about online, then I understand, but if you try this live, they'll catch on within an hour or 2 for sure.

Not all the mid/hi limit players are goofs...
Old 06-30-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 30/60 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate, about 3 months ago I ran really bad playing live limit games, riding down a 6 game 150 BB losing streak or so which is quite a bit playing live. So I decided to change it up. I played online, but decided to study NL and play NL.

I ran decently the 2 months or so, but this month has a been a sore spot for in those games, especially on Party. There are fish, but the nut peddling tight wad overbetting their nuts players are making the game boring and no fun. So I've switched back to live limit again.

Now here's the good thing. Everytime I've taken a sabbatical here and there from poker or from one game to another, my game has almost always improved. There are just little things that I manage to pick up on that I never use to before. A lot of it has to with studying the game outside of playing it, but a great deal also has to do with the fact that I am able to let a lot of residual buildup from losing that has clouded my judgement to be released over that sabbatical period.

The switch in games is kind of like being on a fresh page for me. I start new or renewed again and its much easier on the ego to start a different game at a lower level since it's a different game.

I personally think you are smart and mature enough that you do not need to step down if you choose to continue playing the high stakes limit online. You just need a change in the game choice or a break from the environment which has possibly already conditioned you to play poorly.

A coach IMHO would be an excellent idea and would be the best investment in poker that any serious player can make.

Lawrence
Old 06-30-2005, 08:41 AM

"Schneids and I play a pretty ABC game these days and are killing the mid/high limit games."

OK, fine, but some of us can't sing the alphabet yet.

-Michael
Old 06-30-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is crazy, every single paragraph you posted is exactly what is happening to me and my thoughts apart from i've also totally lost interest in poker. I just decided to quit for a few weeks. Ray Zee should add this to stages of a poker players life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Took a cruise to Alaska with the wife. No poker..no work...just vacation. I actually look forward to playing, improving, and thinking again.

Burn out in a general sense is something that is going to happen at shorter intervals when playing huge volumes of hands is so easily accessible.

2-3 years of 4+ tabling almost every night really leaves you in a daze. At least thats what it seems like now after taking a break.

GL,

Orange
Old 06-30-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but these players just try to get you to fold all the time, so pump your good hands against them when you have them, just call them with your decent/mediocre ones and dump when you don't have anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way that this will work for any extended length of time against the same players. If you are talking about online, then I understand, but if you try this live, they'll catch on within an hour or 2 for sure.

Not all the mid/hi limit players are goofs...

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, online...but most of the online players are goofs...at least at the 100/200 and below levels. When you get higher yes, they get a lot better, agreed.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 PM

You have my deepest sympathy, given that I myself am in the middle of a 200 BB downstreak. And mine comes on the heels of a 100 BB downswing that I had just dug myself out of.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:12 PM

You may just want to consider the idea that you're just not a very good poker player, Nate, and until this month you've just been on an incredibly lucky upswing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 06-30-2005, 11:16 PM

I've always had a lot of respect for your opinion and thoughts. I'd guess your just running bad. As much as it's denied, some people are just luckier than others and you're probably just spending more time than usual as the hydrant instead of the dog.

One thing though - your mention of not dropping down to 15 to re-group doesn't sound right. BR maintenance during stormy times has to be worth something.