Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 05:48 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Stuck

stud's always been my favorite game but i haven't played it in a LONG time. i've been playing a lot of stud and NL lately (new to NL). both are good ways to take down entitlement disorders. in stud, drawouts are super common (322 beating AAK with a 2flush and that sort of thing). in NL, you get a much better acceptance of 97s being "the better hand" against aces on a 568 flop. playing limit it never feels like it is, "it just happened to beat you that time" if you know what i mean.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:53 PM

I admitted that in the trip report thread. You're not putting a flag anywhere by bringing this up.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Judging from all your great posts you have a very good understanding of the game and a drive to get better. I'm sure you'll pull through soon.

Do you feel like you're getting outplayed at the big limits? If not I'd say give it a little longer 1-2 tabling before you try to step down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not outplayed exactly. I do feel however like there's one thing in particular that I need to work on, which is varying my tempo some more. I tend to be too much of a momentum player e.g.

raise preflop ... zzz ... bet flop ... zzz ... bet turn ... zzz ... oops he check-raised now I need to think

In other words, I probably need to do more checking, both with and without the lead, and with both good and bad hands.

The thing is this sort of change is going to require an adjustment period, which could be bumpy.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I admitted that in the trip report thread. You're not putting a flag anywhere by bringing this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't cut off an old man from his petty amusements.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop ... zzz ... bet flop ... zzz ... bet turn ... zzz ... oops he check-raised now I need to think

[/ QUOTE ]

I am having a very unlucky 3 weeks period and am noticing the same thing about myself.

I spent a lot of time analyzing it and at least up to the 30-60 level I think (but am not certain) that the rhythm you describe above may just be due to a string of bad luck and not a string of being outplayed.

In other words when I am running well they fold or don't hit their five outers and I feel like a genius, when I am running bad they checkraise me, perhaps out of trickiness but perhaps because they just keep hitting.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:13 PM

Hey Nate,

Learn no-limit.

ML4L
Old 06-29-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Judging from all your great posts you have a very good understanding of the game and a drive to get better. I'm sure you'll pull through soon.

Do you feel like you're getting outplayed at the big limits? If not I'd say give it a little longer 1-2 tabling before you try to step down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not outplayed exactly. I do feel however like there's one thing in particular that I need to work on, which is varying my tempo some more. I tend to be too much of a momentum player e.g.

In other words, I probably need to do more checking, both with and without the lead, and with both good and bad hands.

The thing is this sort of change is going to require an adjustment period, which could be bumpy.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is something that i need to work on too. this SS strategy is good for all levels to 30-60 online. But higher up that it seems like everyone knows how to play well postflop, and they immediately peg your style.

if it makes you feel any better, i just hit a 130BB downswing at the party 30-60. I'm gonna take three days off and review some hands, but mostly get drunk.

like really drunk.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Nate,

Learn no-limit.

ML4L

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm considering this also, but the only thing that prevents me of going back there is the currently profitability of the party nl games. Do you think is resonable to make $200/hr playing $1K 6max on party with say 3 tables?Playing NL is more enjoyable since your always folding,folding but on limit 6max its raise,raise, call, call the burnout factor its much bigger, also many people say(im not sure its true) that the fishness in nl is going down faster than in limit. what are your thoughts?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:28 PM

you're not pushing 30 also are u? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-ZEN
Old 06-29-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I spent a lot of time analyzing it and at least up to the 30-60 level I think (but am not certain) that the rhythm you describe above may just be due to a string of bad luck and not a string of being outplayed.

In other words when I am running well they fold or don't hit their five outers and I feel like a genius, when I am running bad they checkraise me, perhaps out of trickiness but perhaps because they just keep hitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been looking at this a lot myself lately too. I also don't play higher than 30/60 yet, but I have found that a lot of players will deliberately take slightly the worst of it - if they have a good read on you and think you will fold without any kind of hand.

Calling down BS with AK high is not usually a good idea, but sometimes needs to be done.

My style is similar to yours - borderline LAG. This tends to make people slow down and play back at you harder when they really have a hand. If you're getting raised a lot (on the turn and river), you need to find out if it's just against you or if they play most people like this.

Watching for a while should help you figure out who's got your number and who doesn't. You may need to change styles for a while if you are always against the same opponents.

Try playing rocklike for a couple of hours, then opening it up for 15 minutes, then reverting to rock again for a while, etc.

You are a good player and don't really need any strategy advice (IMO). I think you do need to work more on your metagame skills and image plays, including finding out if you have tells or not.

I'm sure you've experienced getting the rhythm of a game to the point of knowing exactly what's going on all the time. If you're new to these limits it may just be a matter of not having enough critical information.

If these are live games, you may just want to railbird for a while to see if you can pick up anything that you can't focus on while you're sitting at the table.

Pretend one of the players hired you to coach him and look for all of the things he does right or wrong. Then move to the next guy and do it again. Then go to the car and write it all down.

Then do it to yourself and your own game.

I think you'll get through this in no time.

I don't think you should move down unless you need the money. You may be better off not playing and just watching for a while like I mentioned above.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I hope this was of some help.

Dov