Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: lmd taught me this

I think getting folds i more likely with a cr than a bet, despite the small pot. This in and of itself does not suggest the cr is better.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:37 PM

I don't know. I mean, from buttons perspective...I'd read a turn bet followed up by a river bet as a likely pair. I'd read a turn check/raise here as what it is...an attempt to steal the pot when everyone has shown weakness. I may muck something like a weak 4 or 8 or pocket pair here if you bet. I'm not mucking that after the very unusual check/raise. If button called the check/raise and folded the river you probably had the best hand anyway. But then, I'm not the button.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:43 PM

I guess the players more observant then me (seems like most are) would also notice you didn't bet out on the turn after your cr on the flop got checked through. I guess I didn't think that part through.

So, again, it depends on what you think of the button and what you think the button thinks of you. Anyone who calls the turn cr on a flush draw may pair their over card and then call you down on a river bluff.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:35 PM

Default RESULTS

My view on this type of play is that it will probably work only if all of these conditions hold true:
1. The pot is small - even some of the worst calling stations can see that it's not worth chasing.
2. The button may be on a steal - I don't see what he could realistically have that could call my raise confidently. JJ or TT would most likely raise pf, JT would bet as would 44. Any J, T, KQ or T9 would have bet the flop in that position. That only leaves an 8, some smaller pp or a pure bluff. If he has 88 or 97, then good for him. As Shaq would say, one good steal attempt deserves another.
3. The player making this play doesn't do this too often. Since I'm used to mucking, I thought raising might be fun.

The second it got checked to the button again on the turn, it was clear no one had anything. Before I had to decide on whether to fire out on the river or not, the sandwiched players bullet-mucked, while the button did a bit of hollywood and then mucked himself.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:37 PM

I like this, partly because this could easily be raising with the best hand.