Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-17-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: UB 25/50: I fold a hand (for once)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
every street looks standard...

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to try getting a lot of money in with top two when there's a flush out there...I don't know how you can say that just calling here is "standard"

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you do if you threebet, and the turn is any spade, K,J,T,6?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that I just asked the question. First of all, I think that if you 3-bet the turn you don't have to worry about T or J b/c chances of a gut-shot calling are slim.

If a spade comes, it's all read-dependent but I tend to fold to a bet and check behind the turn while calling a river bet if it's not a spade.

If a K comes, I probably bet/fold if checked to as I'm still worried about spades. If it's bet at me, I probably find a fold.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think you have to 3 bet the flop there dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way i 3bet this flop. no way.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw mystandard is to just call too.

only time to threebet imo is vs abad player whowill c/r and give excessive action w/ one pair
Old 12-17-2005, 03:04 AM

Hmm, not sure that I like this fold, the action is so confusing, I can understand the turn check, if he hit spades to get a call on the river, but then he checks the river, does he really expect you to fire? Most people would be spooked into checking behind. I mean i konw this isn't a bluff cause so many pay it off, but it's a weird way to play 666 or a gutter. I also don't see much point in 3betting the flop. I don't see many people calling the 3 bet.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you have to 3 bet the flop there dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

My reasoning for not three-betting the flop included (they're all related):

1) An attempt to avoid awkward turn situations given stack size, by waiting for a safe turn to turn up the heat.

2) I have position; makes me perhaps a bit more inclined to take the aforementioned line of waiting for a safe turn to make a move, instead of making a strong move at the pot on the flop.

3) If I three-bet the flop, it seemed like the only hands that stick around that I'm ahead of are a huge draw, A6, and maaaaybe AK. If I three-bet the flop, I'm gonna make a stack-committing raise w/ the idea that I'm ahead and look to get it in while that's still the case. I don't think a pot-sized raise accomplishes this, as it leaves me with more than a pot-sized bet on the turn, making for a gross situation if a scary turn falls. And what hands call a committing raise on the flop (ranging from, say, $4k straight to a push) that I'm beating? Again, maaaybe A6, and a draw that isn't much of a dog might push. Does AK come along?

Also, are you guys value betting the river? And for those of you advocating that I call his raise, with what range of hands does he take this line on the river that I'm still beating after that turn card fell?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Funny that I just asked the question. First of all, I think that if you 3-bet the turn you don't have to worry about T or J b/c chances of a gut-shot calling are slim.

If a spade comes, it's all read-dependent but I tend to fold to a bet and check behind the turn while calling a river bet if it's not a spade.

If a K comes, I probably bet/fold if checked to as I'm still worried about spades. If it's bet at me, I probably find a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

KJs/KTs/JTs are very likely hands for villain to call a flop 3bet w/. This is why a J/T turn is somewhat scary. It doesnt change the hand much... but is still not a "blank". A K is somewhat more scary b/c it is possible villain has AK in addition to JTs, however i think its very rare that villain would have AK and call a flop 3bet (however there are a lot more combos of AK than JTs).

The scariest cards IMO are a 6 or a spade. I think these need to be checked behind.

I think that the most profitable way to play this is to just call the flop; as villain is probably bluffing and/or overrating some % of the time as well.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:09 AM

neon,

Bad fold. Sorry.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:18 AM

People in this game will value bet worse hands like this, and for that reason alone I think the price is right.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:18 AM

if you plan on folding to a min raise don't bet the river.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
neon,

Bad fold. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

were u villain?

EDIT: WHO WAS VILLAIN!@#!@##$!@$!@>$??????
Old 12-17-2005, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oxidant for those who played w/ him or who were/are watching the game tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]