Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 07:00 AM

Default Countries with the death penalty

This is a list of all the countries where someone was sentanced to death in 2004. Discuss

AFGHANISTAN, ALGERIA, BAHAMAS, BANGLADESH, BARBADOS, BELARUS, BELIZE, BRUNEI DARUSSALAM, BURUNDI, CAMEROON, CHAD, CHINA, CONGO (Democratic Republic), EGYPT, EQUATORIAL GUINEA, ERITREA, ETHIOPIA, GUATEMALA, GUYANA, INDIA, INDONESIA, IRAN, IRAQ, JAMAICA, JAPAN, JORDAN, KENYA, KOREA (NORTH), KOREA (SOUTH), KUWAIT, KYRGYZSTAN, LAOS, LEBANON, LIBYA, MALAYSIA, MOROCCO, NIGERIA, OMAN, PAKISTAN, PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY, PAPUA NEW GUINEA, PHILIPPINES, QATAR, RWANDA, SAUDI ARABIA, SENEGAL, SIERRA LEONE, SINGAPORE, SOMALIA, SRI LANKA, SUDAN, SYRIA, TAIWAN, TAJIKISTAN, TANZANIA, THAILAND, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, UGANDA, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, UZBEKISTAN, VIET NAM, YEMEN, ZIMBABWE
Old 12-13-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Countries with the death penalty

But where are all the "enlightened" countries liek Russia, France, Germany, etc., I mean shouldn't they be...oh my.

Cody
Old 12-13-2005, 07:06 AM

I just copied and pasted the list off a quick google search, but something I watched on the Colber Report made me laugh and think of it. The list could be incomlete/wrong, but i'm pretty sure the US is the only western nation with the death penalty.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:08 AM

I'm not sure about the only Western nation, but only industrialized nation. Of course, everyone else is just a liberal pussy.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:08 AM

Yep sounds about right, but it's kinda our culture. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it's really who we are, or at least where we came from.

Cody
Old 12-13-2005, 08:22 AM

You don't [censored] around in Singapore, jack.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about the only Western nation, but only industrialized nation. Of course, everyone else is just a liberal pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Singapore, Japan and South Korea aren't industrialized? Look at the list again...

I'm not opposed nor for death penalty really which is a bit of a shift. I used to be very for the death penalty. Now, with the way that it is doled out seems inconsistent with a deterent effect. The fact that Tookie William can live on Death Row for 25 years is amazing to me.

-Gryph
Old 12-13-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So Singapore, Japan and South Korea aren't industrialized? Look at the list again...

I'm not opposed nor for death penalty really which is a bit of a shift. I used to be very for the death penalty. Now, with the way that it is doled out seems inconsistent with a deterent effect. The fact that Tookie William can live on Death Row for 25 years is amazing to me.

-Gryph

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. I had thought that no industrialized nations had the death penalty. Maybe I meant industrialized Western nations. I'm not sure, I've been awake for way too long.

Also, the death penalty has never had a deterrent effect, of that I'm sure.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that Tookie William can live on Death Row for 25 years is amazing to me.

-Gryph

[/ QUOTE ]

California has far and away the highest death row population, because it actually executes very few.

Check Texas or Florida for the fast track.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:29 AM

Some interesting facts:

In the past five years, the United States has executed 13 juvenile offenders. Eight of these executions took place in the state of Texas. The rest of the world combined carried out five such executions. The United States accounts for four of the last five known juvenile offender executions in the last two years.