Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 12-03-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Sexton\'s WPT Commentary

Obviously, the world poker tour is not meant to be pure poker - it shows exciting hands with pocket pairs and all-in action, and mostly skips out on the true, solid action one would see at a final table. I was watching the WPT Invitational earlier and heard Sexton making comment to Alex Brene's AT, stating "you'd think he'd consider it a lucky hand and want to play it." Obviously Sexton is not a stupid person in the poker world - he knows odds, he knows statistics, and he knows there is no such thing as a lucky hand. Do you think Sexton makes comments like this for the excitement factor? I'm not complaining as the people who watch this learn to overvalue trash like this and take on fishy attitudes based on Mike's commentary, but why would Mike go out of his way to make these uneducated comments which he would easily know are wrong? Do you think he gets forced to by the higher-ups who sign his paycheck?

VVP makes comments like this all the time, but of course, he's VVP [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Sexton\'s WPT Commentary

Keep in mind, Mike is appealing to the masses. Most people who play poker believe in "lucky hands", have no knowledge of the odds, and want to see non-stop allin situations.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:09 PM

Did you see how Alex Brenes played? I'm pretty sure he might consider it a lucky hand. (Assuming I'm thinking of the right Brenes, there's like 20 of them.)

And yes, we didn't see all the hands, blah blah blah, its a joke.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:18 PM

I find Mike's commentary really horrible/borderline offensive (to my sense of logic at least) because of this. I have a really hard time deaing with willful ignorance.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find Mike's commentary really horrible/borderline offensive (to my sense of logic at least) because of this. I have a really hard time deaing with willful ignorance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I don't know who chooses his lines, but him and the other guy have said really offensive lines before, thinking they were funny. I can recall at least 2 final table shows where they bad mouth Doyle Brunson for example... he wasn't even on the final table for that show!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They both have cliches they've stretched to within an inch of their lives;

"And Vince, we are watching power poker."

"Ya gotta admire this kid's poker (courage/instinct/prowess.)"

"Vince, I think we've seen the first chink in his armor."

"Aww, he's dug the hole, thrown the twigs and leaves over it, waiting for his sucker to fall in."
Old 12-03-2005, 10:27 PM

I loved it in the episode where they had the season 2 champions. There was a hand in which David Benyamine flopped the nut flush draw. It was checked to Benyamine and, after thinking for a while, Benyamine checked behind, taking the free card. Either Sexton or Van Patten then said "Oh, Benyamine is gonna slowplay it."

How can you slowplay a draw????!!!!1111
Old 12-03-2005, 10:55 PM

It seems I'm in the minority, but I think Mike Sexton is great. He's the voice of poker. He knows his shite, he's funny, he's entertaining, and I love his enthusiasm for the game. Guess you guys must really love played-out ex-wife jokes. Weak. Also, I've never heard him or anyone else 'badmouth' Doyle Brunson, and to say the guy makes offensive comments - um, yeah, that's what he does. He sits there in the booth dropping the N-word and F-bombs all show long.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:06 PM

They probably have the most results-oriented commentary of poker ever. Norman Chad may be stupid but he usually will mention after a suck out that the guy got lucky.

Sexton is always like "You gotta respect the guy for putting his chips in and finding a good spot to double up" when the TT rivers a set against the QQ.

And the one thing they drive into the ground that I HHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Eeeeee.

"He needs a king or a jack on the river, can he do it! "

As if the guy needing the king or jack has anything to "do" with anything.

Once the chips go in and the cards are turned over you aren't playing poker anymore, the playing is done, they are just dealing out the cards at that point.

You hear "can he do it" like 55 times during a WPT broadcast.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:18 AM

You're technically right - "he"/"she" isn't doing anything if it's an all-in situation waiting for the cards - but it makes for smoother commentary to say that so-and-so got his hand, as opposed to making the dealer or the cards the focus of the story.

Is this thread "on the morphine drip" yet? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]