Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: To the better $22 and $33 players...

I've guzzled several liters of blush Franzia strait out of the box.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
their

*they're

Correctly using basic English may help your credibility.

Nice use of the race card. I've been served by Ice-T. I would feel the same way about any [insert color] person drinking straight from a $250-$500 bottle of champagne. Akin to "digging into" filet mignon with your hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you mean to tell me that Chris Rock's observation didn't have racial overtones? You don't think the comment about 50 DVDs in the H3, making people believe they are more wealthy than they actually are (i.e. bling) had racials undertones in it? You don't think that all the posters who commented on the brothers in the pictures drinking 40s (when they are actually drinking expensive champagne) had racial undertones to them? I didn't bring up Bob Johnson and Mark Cuban as a race card. Isn't Mark Cuban hispanic? If he is, he's just as much a minority as Bob Johnson is.

Either way, my point was, then is no difference between the two. When I look at them, I don't see that Mark Cuban is considered wealthy while Bob Johnson- who lost a large chunk of his fortune due to a divorce decree- is considered rich. I see two extremely successful men who both possess immense financial fortune. I'm pretty sure they see it that way too. I doubt that Mark cares whether he's consider wealthy and Bob is only consider rich. If Chris Rock meant that rich people and wealthy people should care about their differences, I think that's stupid. I don't see why they should. I don't see the point.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:16 AM

dbach: saving the world, one off-topic post on an internet poker message board at a time.

i'll take skipperbob anyday [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2005, 03:17 AM

chillax dude (dbach)
Old 12-04-2005, 03:34 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=4095947

Exactly where are the underlying racial tones? I really don't see it at all. If there are any, it's because you put them there. Am I going to attempt to analyze or defend others statements, (racially motivated or not)? No. My point (interpreted from Chris Rock's Never Scared) was that people who come into money (ie. the rich) squander it away and don't properly invest for or prepare for the future. When I look at that picture, drinking cristal out of the bottle, or every single person having a diamond studded watch, I get the impression this is occuring. I find this to be particularly amusing, as would I if someone continually multi tabled the 6's, cashing out profits and never moving up in buy ins. I looked for a transcript of "Never Scared", but didn't find one (to see if it was blatantly racist, or if you could reasonably take my original comment as such). Since I don't personally know them, I could very well be wrong. You obviously missed the point of his bit, as the point of most of my posts this evening.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=4095947

Exactly where are the underlying racial tones? I really don't see it at all. If there are any, it's because you put them there. Am I going to attempt to analyze or defend others statements, (racially motivated or not)? No. My point (interpreted from Chris Rock's Never Scared) was that people who come into money (ie. the rich) squander it away and don't properly invest for or prepare for the future. When I look at that picture, drinking cristal out of the bottle, or every single person having a diamond studded watch, I get the impression this is occuring. I find this to be particularly amusing, as would I if someone continually multi tabled the 6's, cashing out profits and never moving up in buy ins. I looked for a transcript of "Never Scared", but didn't find one (to see if it was blatantly racist, or if you could reasonably take my original comment as such). Since I don't personally know them, I could very well be wrong. You obviously missed the point of his bit, as the point of most of my posts this evening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you have made the same comment if every guy in the photo was white? If every guy in the photo was white, would everybody have assumed that they were drinking 40s instead of expensive champagne? When Chris Rock made his observation, wasn't he comparing the differences in financial success when he compared black against white? If not, then why didn't he compare Phil Jackson to Jerry Buss or some rich, non-black Microsoft employee to Bill Gates? It was Chris's point to be racial in his observations. It's not just about the difference between rich and wealthy, it's also a difference between class, status, and power.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:27 AM

i'm going to have to agree with dbach about the racial undertones. they're not even undertones. the joke hinges on the stereotype of black male rappers.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:29 AM

Yes, I would have made the comment if it was a picture of a white guy with a mullet and one tooth sitting in a Porsche. You're the one who brought race into it. As per defending others words, it's not my responsibility, as I have explained my interpretation as such. As for the relationship between class, status, and race, you made that connection, and are the racist. There are many wealthy minorities, who don't wear 1 billion diamonds and don't drink cristal OUT OF THE BOTTLE. Look at Oprah. Where's her bling? It's not there, because she took her financial success and capitalized it into wealth. Also, by grouping "everyone" into an assumption, you perpectuate racism by expecting everyone here to be a racist. You perpetuate racism through your expectations just as others do through stereotypes.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:31 AM

hahhahahha f o
Old 12-04-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I would have made the comment if it was a picture of a white guy with a mullet and one tooth sitting in a Porsche. You're the one who brought race into it. As per defending others words, it's not my responsibility, as I have explained my interpretation as such. As for the relationship between class, status, and race, you made that connection, and are the racist. There are many wealthy minorities, who don't wear 1 billion diamonds and don't drink cristal OUT OF THE BOTTLE. Look at Oprah. Where's her bling? It's not there, because she took her financial success and capitalized it into wealth. Also, by grouping "everyone" into an assumption, you perpectuate racism by expecting everyone here to be a racist. You perpetuate racism through your expectations just as others do through stereotypes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're smart, you know Chris's comment had to do with class, status, power and race. Why would there be a need to compare Shaquille O'Neal's financial position to that of the owner of the Lakers, Jerry Buss? No matter who influential, successful and wealthy Oprah becomes--- she will never be able to duplicate Bill Gate's social class, status, or power in society or business. If you pay enough attention to Oprah, she has more than her fair share of bling and it's alot more expensive than what anybody in the picture is wearing. The difference? Class, status, and power. To most, this is just a picture full of rappers cuffing 40s with attention-grabbing jewelry on. Your assumption wreaked of being laced with stereotypes and a racial undertone. I don't believe for one second that you would have said the same had it been a picture full of white men.
Closed Thread