Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the maximum stack size you would push here?
1500 2 16.67%
1350 1 8.33%
1200 0 0%
1050 2 16.67%
900 1 8.33%
750 3 25.00%
600 1 8.33%
450 1 8.33%
300 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2005, 04:01 PM

Default The Value of Human Life (a poll for BigSooner)

Think of the person you love most in your life. It could be your mum, your pa, your girlfriend, your son...heck, it could even be you.

Got someone in mind? Good.

That person has a terminal illness that will cause him/her to die a horrible, horrible death over the next year. There is a cure. It is 100% effective, and remarkably cheap. All you have to do to get it is to press a button, which will enable a death ray in space to vaporize ten random starving African children. You will never have met these children otherwise, and no one will ever connect you to the killing.

What'll it be?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: The Value of Human Life (a poll for BigSooner)

YES!!! the results of the poll made me laugh out loud!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:55 PM

It's really sad how far I'm willing to go to prove people's stupidity to them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 07:12 PM

he isnt stupid

he just cares more about people than most
Old 11-28-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's really sad how far I'm willing to go to prove people's stupidity to them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid? Doubtful. Naive? Maybe. If this is an accurate representation of people's feelings, then it certainly illustrates the moral decline that seems to be accelerating of late. I've always said that man's biggest deficiency is selfishness and this certainly reflects that.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid? Doubtful. Naive? Maybe. If this is an accurate representation of people's feelings, then it certainly illustrates the moral decline that seems to be accelerating of late. I've always said that man's biggest deficiency is selfishness and this certainly reflects that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it simply suggests that there is more to the value of human life than quantity.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:23 PM

I'd say the results so far have been exactly what you'd expect.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it simply suggests that there is more to the value of human life than quantity.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with quantity. It has to do with killing innocent people, which I thought most people would think is wrong. It doesn't matter if it is one child or ten million children.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with quantity. It has to do with killing innocent people, which I thought most people would think is wrong. It doesn't matter if it is one child or ten million children.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a random innocent child's life is worth more to you than the most important person in your life?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:29 PM

Ah cmon people, death is a part of life. In one situation you are killing, in the other, you are letting what is natural happen. The fact that 85% would rather kill than accept the difficulties of life is why people suck and why nobody is really happy.