Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Will this bring about trouble?

Alright. First post here. Anyway, ive been playing/hosting the same group of guys for about a year now, no problems. I would in all honesty put me at the top, with my best friend right behind me(4/5 times, me and him are heads up) Anyway, tommorow is my birthday, and just for fun we're going to start a tradition that everyone chips in and pays the buy-in for whoever's birthday it is. One kid(who claims he is the best, but there are some better then him) is complaining because 'i make the money so much, that why should i get a free entry' We try telling him that he'll get his free buy-in his birthday, and so will everyone else, but he's still complaining. Should we just can the idea, or keep with it and not care what he thinks?

BTW, this is a 60% social game, 40% competitive game
Old 11-17-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Will this bring about trouble?

this would have been better as a poll. 1- punch him in the nuts. 2- kick him in the nuts. 3- stop being such a nit. You'll learn. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, what's the buy-in? If everyone else agrees then sucks to be that guy. I'd go on with the birthday freeroll. Oh, Happy Birthday.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:26 PM

Sorry to say this, but this idea is nothing but trouble. It sounds nice for everyone to pitch in on your birthday, but what happens when it's then next person's birthday and you can't be there? Then it looks like you got the free ride but don't want to pitch in for others. Your friends will know it's not true but it's still out there.
Or what happens if you decide to raise buy-ins sometime before the next birthday? Does everyone still buyin for the birthday boy or do they just pay half since the stakes are doubled?
Too many things that could go wrong, and since it's your birthday you have the chance to stop it here. Say thanks guys, but here's my 10 bucks to buy-in (or whatever you pay).
Old 11-17-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to say this, but this idea is nothing but trouble. It sounds nice for everyone to pitch in on your birthday, but what happens when it's then next person's birthday and you can't be there? Then it looks like you got the free ride but don't want to pitch in for others. Your friends will know it's not true but it's still out there.
Or what happens if you decide to raise buy-ins sometime before the next birthday? Does everyone still buyin for the birthday boy or do they just pay half since the stakes are doubled?
Too many things that could go wrong, and since it's your birthday you have the chance to stop it here. Say thanks guys, but here's my 10 bucks to buy-in (or whatever you pay).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would ditch the idea for the same reason.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright. First post here. Anyway, ive been playing/hosting the same group of guys for about a year now, no problems. I would in all honesty put me at the top, with my best friend right behind me(4/5 times, me and him are heads up) Anyway, tommorow is my birthday, and just for fun we're going to start a tradition that everyone chips in and pays the buy-in for whoever's birthday it is. One kid(who claims he is the best, but there are some better then him) is complaining because 'i make the money so much, that why should i get a free entry' We try telling him that he'll get his free buy-in his birthday, and so will everyone else, but he's still complaining. Should we just can the idea, or keep with it and not care what he thinks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad choice starting with YOUR birthday. Skip over you and start this new "tradition".

If everyone in the group but whinyboy is interested in the concept, then do your "birthday freeroll"

Monitoring who pays and who owes may be a PITA
Old 11-17-2005, 10:53 PM

Nothing but trouble. It all balances out after a year anyways so why bother?
As said before, it will be a pain in the ass handling people who aren't there on certain 'birthday' games, etc.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:44 AM

I remember my 13th Birthday too...what times, what times...
Old 11-18-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due sincerity,

*cough*-GAY!-*cough*
Old 11-18-2005, 03:49 AM

as mentioned, what if people are missing?
this isn't really solved by a 'birthday collection' either because you may have people that come with different frequencies..

Also raising the stakes at some point may make people upset about the 'evenness' and fairness of it all.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:13 PM

I agree with canning the idea. Too many problems if peopel don t make it and/or new people join and so on