Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: What separates a good player from an advanced player?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are now ignoring this user, you will no longer see any of their posts

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH sir! Unfortunately I like to see what they will say next.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im assuming that was in regards to ilovebadbeats?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's had some doozies.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am 15/10/2.3 in the Party 10/20 full game and doing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with your reasoning here at all. adding 5 hands per 100 hands is quite a significant increase. obviously most of your winrate comes from the top 3-4% of hands but just defending a few more +EV hands in the blinds and opening a few more hands in MP or LP can have a significant impact on your winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am absolutely horrible in the blinds BB = (.18)BB/hand and sb = (.15)BB/hand, It might be time to play some 1/2 6max for me...
Old 09-23-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with your reasoning here at all. adding 5 hands per 100 hands is quite a significant increase. obviously most of your winrate comes from the top 3-4% of hands but just defending a few more +EV hands in the blinds and opening a few more hands in MP or LP can have a significant impact on your winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am absolutely horrible in the blinds BB = (.18)BB/hand and sb = (.15)BB/hand, It might be time to play some 1/2 6max for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

your sample size is probably way too small to make any judgments about this.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See the chart on p.47 of SSH for an example of how quickly hands drop off in EV. What's the area under that curve between the zero crossing and the next highest 4-5% of hands? And can you always be sure you aren't playing some on the right side of the zero crossing?

Obviously this chart is not situational enough to be of real use in choosing your hands, I'm just using it as an example of the general shape that the pre-flop hand strength vs. EV curve will always have in any situation. The marginal hands for any particular situation will always be very tiny in EV, and subject to the possibility that some will actually be on the wrong side of zero.

Improving post-flop is just so much more important, and some of those extra hands will not be +EV at all until this is done.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your sample size is probably way too small to make any judgments about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH crap ok, MR. Sample Size man! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Not sure how big a sample I need

last ~134K hands, bb=(.23), sb=(.12)
Old 09-23-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See the chart on p.47 of SSH for an example of how quickly hands drop off in EV. What's the area under that curve between the zero crossing and the next highest 4-5% of hands? And can you always be sure you aren't playing some on the right side of the zero crossing?

Obviously this chart is not situational enough to be of real use in choosing your hands, I'm just using it as an example of the general shape that the pre-flop hand strength vs. EV curve will always have in any situation. The marginal hands for any particular situation will always be very tiny in EV, and subject to the possibility that some will actually be on the wrong side of zero.

Improving post-flop is just so much more important, and some of those extra hands will not be +EV at all until this is done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, part of the way of getting better is by playing more marginal hands.

I'm not trying to say that it's a 1BB/100++ differencebut i do think that even 0.5BB/100 is a significant increase.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

to stlanty and emperor - don't try to improve your game by aiming for an "optimal" vp$ip. improve your game so that your vp$ip is better. that is just to say, don't try to create situations to increase the number, because this will invariably lead to mistakes (e.g., making bad coldcalls or EP limps w/ the justification that this must be the way to optimalize vpip). figure out which situations you are misplaying preflop, and the proper vp$ip will follow.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the best observation in the entire thread. I see many players falling for this trap. The goal is not to get to some magical VP$IP or PFR by any means necessary. The goal is to make the right play on every street. And as psycho said, once you get there, the stats will follow.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:07 PM

Simple solution is learn to play shorthand, go play 6max.

Nothing tough about 17/15 that seems a bit tight to me.

At the moment you dont know how to play, you are just your average ABCer rock.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess my question is...what might I be missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Experience? Do you think 3BB/100h 6 tablers are born or do you think they constantly work on they game and try to improve? Your a winning player that's what's important, now try to improve your game.

BTW, I think you are focused to much on preflop play cuz that's the easy part, the big money is made on laydown 2nd best hands when beat and winning showdowns.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:38 AM

Back to the original question:

I think both good and advanced players win money, but advanced players lose less.