Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: What separates a good player from an advanced player?

nice insight, Psycho. I may be guilty of that as well. I'm 15/10 and can easily see how HJ or CO stealing would bump that up.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:12 PM

What do those 3 numbers mean?
xx/xx/xx?
These are PokerTracker nums.?

Can I get a quick explan.? Or a link to a post that has one?

I don't like hyper-aggresive players, either...(I need to work on a way of dealing with them better, as I'm sure there are many situations where I'm losing bets to them I shouldn't be...)

I think you need to
play fewer hands pre-flop and go right back at them with the hands you do play...(i.e., if they 3 bet you, Cap - presuming you have a premium hand...).

Flop betting can be the "deceptive" round, as you know from all the books you read...
The guy could be capping with 2 big cards and that's it! Know that he'll only pair at least 1 of them on 1/3rd of the flops you see together...and take chances/test him...

And sometimes, on medium strength made hands, don't fold. Just go to call down mode from the flop...(I know I'm goiing to get reamed for saying this, but you get a feel for when you should do this...if there's a ton of hands that can beat you fold, but these "agros" (is this right?)
Cap
with 1 overcard and an inside str8 draw, so call down often...
(also, if they know you'll call down they'll be less likely to always try to make you fold
by betting and, consequently, they'll become a little easier to read on future hands...).
Don't be pushed around - and when you do make a hand against them, slow-play and punish!

Joe M.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are now ignoring this user, you will no longer see any of their posts

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-23-2005, 05:22 PM

I am 15/10/2.3 in the Party 10/20 full game and doing well. Maybe you can do a little better post-flop.

I don't think the pre-flop VPIP tightness is as much an issue as some will make it out to be. Adding 4 percentage points means adding the 4 most marginal hands a 19% VPIP would play every 10 full orbits. They won't add much to your rate, if anything. And the players you make money from are not going to be adjusting to this tiny difference.

Don't worry so much about how others are winning with various stats. You can't possibly have enough hands on them to judge them in this way. Their bad plays look bad because they are bad; don't imitate these, take advantage instead. Think about what they do well if you want to add something to your game.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 15/10/2.3 in the Party 10/20 full game and doing well. Maybe you can do a little better post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post Flop - Definitely! Bad laydowns and bad calldowns seem to throw my variance all over the place and I'm sure thats whats dragging down my BB/100. By bad I mean folding when I was ahead with a made hand, and by bad calldowns I mean failing to recognize a 3bet in a multiway pot on the turn with a flushed and str8t board means the fish caught the nuts and my top pair is no good.

I'm sure there are hundreds of marginal errors in there as well, but I'd bet they are the difference between 2 and 3 BB/100. I'm looking just to earn 2bb/100 consistently right now... :P

thanks!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post Flop - Definitely! Bad laydowns and bad calldowns seem to throw my variance all over the place and I'm sure thats whats dragging down my BB/100. By bad I mean folding when I was ahead with a made hand, and by bad calldowns I mean failing to recognize a 3bet in a multiway pot on the turn with a flushed and str8t board means the fish caught the nuts and my top pair is no good.

I'm sure there are hundreds of marginal errors in there as well, but I'd bet they are the difference between 2 and 3 BB/100. I'm looking just to earn 2bb/100 consistently right now... :P

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am at the same stage of progression as you, or at least near it. I have the tendancy to call down WAY too much though, rather than folding w/ a made hand. If you want to chat about anything, exchange hands etc, so I can figure hwo to change and where, let me know.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH sir! Unfortunately I like to see what they will say next.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH sir! Unfortunately I like to see what they will say next.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im assuming that was in regards to ilovebadbeats?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:44 PM

first i would like to echo TimM's post - if being a little too tight preflop and not squeezing out every possible ounce of ev on that street is your biggest problem, don't be too worried.

[ QUOTE ]

1. I am a stealing machine, I probably steal too much. 44%

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems about right

[ QUOTE ]
2. I defend 50-60% vs a steal I think this might could go up some, but I suck so bad postflop HU that I laydown a lot of misses.

[/ QUOTE ]

this could go up some as you said, but is not ridiculously bad. what about in the sb? a lot of good players are probably a little too tight in the sb against a steal raise. against an aggressive button you should be 3-betting a lot.

regarding your comment about sucking postflop hu, i recommend stepping down a limit or two to play a few thousand hands that are exclusively 2-5 handed. this will make you more proficient in blind v. blind and blind v. stealer scenarios.

[ QUOTE ]
3. To go from 16 to 20 VPIP thats 4 hands every 10 orbits, of those hands almost all of them should be raising hands to bring preflop raise % up? So I would guess I am not raising my button often enough after limpers or blind stealers??

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a distinct possibility. when there are two or more limpers to you on the button you can play a bunch of hands for a limp or a raise (depending on what kind of hand you have).
Old 09-23-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 15/10/2.3 in the Party 10/20 full game and doing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with your reasoning here at all. adding 5 hands per 100 hands is quite a significant increase. obviously most of your winrate comes from the top 3-4% of hands but just defending a few more +EV hands in the blinds and opening a few more hands in MP or LP can have a significant impact on your winrate.