Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Calldown with aces?

Party 30/60. UTG is like 13/9/1.3 so is a pretty tight player. He raises, I 3 bet with aces. Big blind calls, utg caps. Flop comes down KQ4 rainbow. I decide just to call the guy down. Opinions?
Old 09-25-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Calldown with aces?

I like it, way behind or way ahead. If your ahead let him keep spewing, if your behind lose little as possible, can't fold cuz he might have AK or be a maniac.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:02 PM

That is my exact line for these situations, i don't even see the merit in anything else.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:08 PM

Nothing else you can do.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:13 PM

If heads up against such a player, I usually just call down. However, there is another player in the hand...so, I prefer a raise to try to force him out. UTG could have AK and big blind could have JJ-22 (or some other weak draw) and it would be a mistake to let him call for one bet. Sure, UTG might three bet...but I think that isn't as bad as letting big blind beat you if you are ahead.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:14 PM

yah theres really no reason to raise.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:30 PM

I think you should raise the flop despite the fear of QQ and KK. I think even tight players cap with AK and AQs enough that its worth it to raise once for value. You also want to punish the big blind for calling with whatever garbage he had.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:57 PM

There are only 6 combos of AK and 1-2 combos of AQs depending on what suits hero's AA are and what suit the Q on the flop is. There are 3 combos of QQ, 3 of KK, and 1 of AA. Hero will usually lose two bets if behind and gain one if ahead, plus villain might be bet/folding with JJ or something weird. I would think it is worth raising to cut down the odds the other guy is getting though. Raising would give him 15:2 or 7.5:1 which would make it incorrect to call with a gutshot and might get him to fold a 5 outer (probably incorrectly). Is the thinking just that he will usually have less than 4 outs on average? If he will call 2 cold with a lot of hands it's probably worth it to raise since you're now getting 2:1 on your money. Paluka is way better than I so maybe he can clear up my thinking?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:40 PM

For all you people doing math about how often we are cutting down the others guys odds, it doesnt take into account how often we are getting 3 bet here by QQ and KK, which kills the benefit of doing this. Our goal here is to showdown the hand. We want to do it cheaply, as most tags are not open raising AQ UTG and capping when 3 bet by a solid player. Shutting out the other player is not as important as making sure we dont go 3 bets on the flop IMO.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:49 PM

Raisefold the turn, even with the tightest range it's 6 combos you win, 6 combos you lose. this way you go 3 bets when ahead and 2 when behind. AK 3 bets the turn, never.