Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-09-2005, 12:40 AM

Default 1st few days trying party. Having to make some big laydowns. Help?

Like the title says, I'm giving party another shot after not playing there for over a year because of the constant suck outs. I've been a constant winner in b&m games, UB, FT and Bodog.

I just played for about an hour and I'm down $600 already. This after losing about $1000 yesterday.

Here are some hands.

Very 1st hand of the night.

Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: miguelitto ( $371.80 )
Seat 2: marymac123 ( $384 )
Seat 3: Hero ( $400 )
Seat 4: pokesquid ( $788.10 )
Seat 5: hugo1232 ( $620.20 )
Seat 6: kimchipower ( $63.90 )
Seat 7: bryan72 ( $341.10 )
Seat 8: AMF77 ( $381.70 )
Seat 9: jakefan16 ( $197.65 )
Seat 10: eagles2605 ( $396.30 )
marymac123 posts small blind [$2].
Hero posts big blind [$4].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Qc Qd ]
pokesquid folds.
hugo1232 folds.
kimchipower folds.
bryan72 folds.
AMF77 raises [$15].
jakefan16 folds.
eagles2605 folds.
miguelitto folds.
marymac123 folds.
Hero calls [$11].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Tc, 9s, 3c ]
Hero checks.
AMF77 bets [$15].
Hero raises [$45].
AMF77 raises [$75].
Hero calls [$30].

My flop play. Good flop for me. Don't have that many hands on villain but what I do have is 37 VPIP and super aggro. Looks like LAG. So based on this I figure check the flop over to him and let him bet it then I'll repop it and take it down. He then min raises me. I'm not sure what this means. He might think I'm trying to resteal or he may actually have KK or AA? Either way I can't fold QQ for another $30 in that spot.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 4c ]
Hero checks.
AMF77 bets [$177].
Hero folds.

Turn comes 3 to the flush. Looks like he has KK or AA with no club with that bet?

What did I do wrong in this hand?

Same orbit 7 hands later or so this comes up.

Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: miguelitto ( $371.80 )
Seat 2: marymac123 ( $382 )
Seat 3: Hero ( $400 )
Seat 4: pokesquid ( $762.10 )
Seat 5: hugo1232 ( $636.20 )
Seat 6: kimchipower ( $78.10 )
Seat 7: bryan72 ( $337.10 )
Seat 8: AMF77 ( $480.70 )
Seat 9: jakefan16 ( $197.65 )
Seat 10: eagles2605 ( $384.30 )
kimchipower posts small blind [$2].
bryan72 posts big blind [$4].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Qh Ac ]
AMF77 folds.
jakefan16 folds.
eagles2605 folds.
miguelitto folds.
marymac123 calls [$4].
Hero raises [$14].
pokesquid folds.
hugo1232 folds.
kimchipower folds.
bryan72 calls [$10].
marymac123 calls [$10].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Kd, Ah, 4s ]
bryan72 checks.
marymac123 checks.
Hero bets [$21].
bryan72 folds.
marymac123 calls [$21].

Flop play. Not a scary board. Nobody has AK AA or AK so I'm good. I bet half the pot. According to Tracker villain is tight passive/aggressive. What do I put her on? Weaker ace? I probably had a slightly aggressive image but like I said 1st orbit that I sat down. She looked like she wanted to bet the flop. One of those slight hesitation checks like she knew I'd bet it.

** Dealing Turn ** [ Th ]
marymac123 checks.
Hero checks.
** Dealing River ** [ 9s ]
marymac123 bets [$75].
Hero: show me 44 plz
Hero folds.
marymac123 does not show cards.
marymac123 wins $158

Did she hit her kicker? Or maybe flopped a set of fours? Good laydown? Hows my turn check?

One last hand. Different table but shortly after the above hand. My 1st orbit at this table.

Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: nychief25 ( $395.30 )
Seat 2: mind4mind ( $549.61 )
Seat 3: p0kerh0e ( $1239.60 )
Seat 5: hartd1224 ( $212.10 )
Seat 6: kev29_81 ( $241.40 )
Seat 8: NarwhalKing ( $366 )
Seat 9: OasisAce ( $405.80 )
Seat 10: marymac123 ( $393.50 )
Seat 4: Hero ( $392 )
hartd1224 posts small blind [$2].
kev29_81 posts big blind [$4].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ah Ad ]
NarwhalKing folds.
OasisAce raises [$10].
marymac123 calls [$10].
nychief25 folds.
mind4mind folds.
p0kerh0e folds.
Hero raises [$35].
hartd1224 folds.
kev29_81 folds.
theeths has joined the table.
OasisAce calls [$25].
marymac123 calls [$25].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jd, 3c, Tc ]
OasisAce checks.
marymac123 checks.
Hero bets [$78].
OasisAce raises [$156].
marymac123 folds.
Hero calls [$78].

What's with the $10 UTG+1 Raise? At first I thought it was KK but probably would have reraised PF with KK. What else is there, only JJ or TT right? Am I supposed to lay this down too? That'd be 3 big laydowns in about a 20 minute time period, and pretty much the only 3 hands I played. What's going on here? Anyway...

** Dealing Turn ** [ 2d ]
OasisAce bets [$95].
Hero is all-In.
OasisAce calls [$106].
** Dealing River ** [ 5c ]
OasisAce shows [ Js, Jc ] three of a kind, jacks.
Hero doesn't show [ Ah, Ad ] a pair of aces.
OasisAce wins $822 from the main pot with three of a kind, jacks.

I'm at a loss here. 4 buyins down on my the first two days back on party, that's more than I've ever lost.

I know the AA hand was bad...hindsight is 20/20 but jesus it seems like all I'm doing is making big laydowns over and over so I lose money just a little slower.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: 1st few days trying party. Having to make some big laydowns. Help?

First hand seems like the hard one. For me, I'd probably make a big reraise (4-bet) given the number of draws out there, but I'm really not sure what the best play is there. It`s the exact situation that I think might be the biggest leak in my game, I hope other people have something informative to post on that one.

The second hand is a call on river. You bet flop, which could easily be a standard continuation bet, then check-fold TPSK on river... I think the turn check is correct, but I`m definately calling a river bet unless villain blasts the pot, which he didn`t do here.

I`d fold the third hand, even if he puts you on big pair theres a 50-50 chance that you have the flush draw as well so hes probably not bluffing.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:04 AM

raise more pf 3rd hand, to 45-50 at least
Old 09-09-2005, 01:28 AM

hand 1: put in real raise on flop when he bets 15 into pot of 35. Maybe fold to re raise.

hand 2: Bet turn. Check River.

Hand 3: Fold to flop raise if typical tight/weak NL2/4 winner
Old 09-09-2005, 01:51 AM

Hand 1: lead flop. if you c/r flop, make it at least 60-75. as it is you look like you're on a draw and are inviting aggro opponent to bet you out at some point. his small bets are seem to be deliberately pricing in draws... which makes me think AA/KK less likely, but AKs is a decent possiblity

Hand 2: lead flop for at least 3/4 pot. often i'd lead turn too, but check behind is okay. on the river you have to call. you invited the bluff with your weak lead & check. whole idea of turn check is to call any reasonable river.

Hand 3: seems like a frustration play based on prior hands. reraise more pf. probably can fold after the min-raise. AKs would probably call, QQ would often bet out, and KK as you say would usually reraise pf OOP.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:26 AM

Default Re: 1st few days trying party. Having to make some big laydowns. Hel

In the third hand,how would the opponent play the flop with aj, or a10? Would they bet out, or check raise the pf raiser? Check raising the pf raiser would be wiser because betting out and getting raised, you don't know if he's making a play on you with ak. A min raise could just be a way for him to let you know he has a hand, but not so much that he can't get away from it if you push. Could also be kq suited, hoping that the raise will earn him a free river card in case he misses. Maybe even aq or ak suited does this. It's hard to tell. QQ also might not necessarily bet out, it may also have to go for a check raise to find out where it stands, similarly to the aj situation. Seeing as how there just isn't enough info, I think you did the right thing. The suspicious min raise either means weakness (aj, big draw) or major strength (set) and AA is still good enough to stay in it and see what he does on later streets.
The $95 bet on the turn could also very well mean that he is hoping to showdown his aj without it committing all of his chips, or if he's on a draw, to get a cheap river. OR it COULD be a way to get the rest of your money with the current nuts, as it ended up being. It was well played by him, because he knew with your flop call that you most likely had a hand you couldn't get away from. And seeing as how the remaining stack sizes were too small and you had just sat down, I don't think you could've gotten away from the hand. Maybe had you been there for a while you would've had enough info to get away from it, but the way that so many people play, going the distance with tptk or a big draw, you gotta pay it off.