Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 12:13 PM

Default WinHoldem cheaters foiled

Looks like the dimwits using WinHoldem are waking up to a bad day [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

WinHoldem Forum

As much as this vigilance/decisive action from PartyPoker heartens me it appears like we're in for a long and escalating battle between OPCs and the scum that market and use unethical AI systems.

I've seen posts here that seem to me to dismiss out of hand the AI as being littered with flawed probability calculations and devoid of any poker theory/psychology dimension of the game. However isn't it just a matter of time that these elements get improved by better algorithms that refine the odds calculations and integrate expected opponent behavior through hand histories in real-time?

Does this mean there will come a time when online poker for real money will just not be practical for anyone who's mind is unable to synthesize as quickly/accurately all the probabilities/psychology as a computer assisted player?

Also does it bother anyone that PP is doing screen shots of your display and examining them surreptitiously? I guess you should avoid having any confidential info on your screen while playing online. They should do a better job of warning people of this issue.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Re: WinHoldem cheaters foiled

I welcome the crack down on those cheaters.

I was surprised that Party can take screen shots however. I do not know enough of computers and internet, but if they are able to take screen shots and are able to write on your harddrive they could also be able to read your harddrive. I have all my passwords stored in a text file which probably isn't such a great idea anyway.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:04 PM

it's probably in the user agreement that no one reads.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I welcome the crack down on those cheaters.

I was surprised that Party can take screen shots however. I do not know enough of computers and Internet, but if they are able to take screen shots and are able to write on your hard drive they could also be able to read your hard drive. I have all my passwords stored in a text file which probably isn't such a great idea anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any binary can read/write and take screen shots. They can do a lot more than that if they want. Sadly your passwords get cached a lot of the time. I keep no passwords on my computer but I would not be surprised if some of mine were cached in my computer some where. This has been a fact of like since the dawn of computers so its no big revelation. Your just need to be careful and know where all of your software came from.

~CT
Old 11-19-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Slightly off topic but I didnt want to start another thread

I have my username and password automatically configured when I open a poker client (eg party), which is the default. Is this a bad idea? Just wondering if I should turn this feature off and change my passwords.

EDIT: It totally rocks that Party is cracking down on these scumbags.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Slightly off topic but I didnt want to start another thread

Let them screenshot my desktop. I have nothing to hide. Some of these girls have nothing to hide either!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:41 PM

What exactly is WinHoldem used for?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Slightly off topic but I didnt want to start another thread

[ QUOTE ]
Some of these girls have nothing to hide either!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hope they're not too easily offended - I'm sure they're going to see a lot of pink out there [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 01:44 PM

It is a bot that you can program to play for you. Low bb/100, but you can play 20 tables at a time, all the time. Basically it's cheating.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:46 PM

WinHoldem is basically a bot program that you can use to play for you. You input some data, and you can leave the computer and let it play. It sucks. It can't dynamically change to react to opponents strategies, and it doesn't know how to alter its own strategy under different conditions. It's what people with no poker skill use to try to come out on top.