Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-14-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Paradise 75K - deep stacks - when do I shut it down?

Satellited in for 5 bucks, so figured I'd give it a shot. Added on for 30.00 incredible 2-3 hour and I find myself 8th in chips with 110 to go. Bubble just burst.

I've been opening up 2 times per orbit and only hands I was looked up, I actually had KK and AK and won both times. For all they know, I've been getting awesome cards. I have 108K and the next stack at the table happens to be the villian who just sat down with 66K.

Now, as woodguy posted when he won it, it turns out to be a crapsshoot/pushfest near the end, so I've been preparing myself for this by trying to get a big stack for the survival mode. I destroyed the bubble adanthar style and shorties are beginning to bust left and right, but I'm here to win. On to the hand.

Blinds 2K/4K w/200 ante - Average stack is around 55K
Folds around to me in the CO(108K) and I open K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to 11K. Villian (66K) in the BB calls, leaving himself 59K behind.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Villian checks.

Hero bets 11K and Villian quickly calls leaving himself 48K behind

Turn J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Villian checks again.

Now, I can shut it down now or still put the pressure on. I decide to put half his stack at risk and bet 22K.
Villian goes into the tank and calls.

River is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Villian checks. Fire again? I checked behind.
Results in white: <font color="white">Villian had K 10 and took half my stack </font>

This took half my stack and I ended up pushing AQ into AK and finishing 71st for a measly 126 bucks. I honestly though I had a chance at the 21K 1st prize, but just felt terrible after this hand. I did see that colson10 was still alive and I stopped by to say gl. Hope you took it down.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Paradise 75K - deep stacks - when do I shut it down?

there are about 40 different ways to play this. shut it down at the river would be my opinion, he had already called everything else off on a board without any draws in it, so either you thought he had a pocket pair that you could get him to lay down or you just check behind on river. Blind steals and blind defenses are so much a part of making it to the final table (accumulating or bleeding off chips). You have to be able to let off the gas the same as you would if you were playing AK and missed flop completely, they call your CB at the flop and turn, time to check behind. I've made the same mistake you have and with even worse hands (3 volleys on a bluff - i try never to do this again, unless i have a really solid read).
Old 12-14-2005, 02:51 PM

any other opinions?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Definately don't bet the river. I probably shut down on the turn.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:07 PM

I really hate your turn bet. The flop was completely drawless, so you've either got him drawing to 2 outs with an under PP (or maybe 5 outs with 89, 78, or A8, but probably not) or you're wrecked. He's also pretty unlikely to fold a hand that beats you here that he calls with preflop, unless he's got like K9s or KT, but even that's a tough fold. So, your bet doesn't work as a value bet or a bluff, and your hand barely needs protection from draws (just the 2 or 5 outers to worry about). There's just no good argument for betting the turn.

A much better line is to bet the turn and call/check most rivers.

Also, why bet half your opponent's stack HU?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:12 PM

I think it's an easy check behind on the river. The turn is a little more iffy. Since he just sat down, I'm assuming you have no read that he can be bullied, so I'd shut it down there and hope for a cheap showdown
Old 12-14-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really hate your turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your line? I'm last to act on all streets, so your line of check/call is backwards.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really hate your turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your line? I'm last to act on all streets, so your line of check/call is backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

My line is check behind on turn. On most rivers, call a bet or check behind if checked to. The only river that changes this plan for me is a 4.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:07 PM

Here's the thing: I destroy the bubble just fine, but I also shut down for a while afterwards. If you did it right, your table image sucks after it no matter what you do or don't show down, and they play too loose after to begin with. Also, I try not to screw with guys I have no read on that can hurt me.

Anyway, since you opened, I check behind on either the flop or turn and call down from there. I actually like a flop check on this board a fair bit.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:19 PM

I'm doing my second pass thru HOH, and this seems a classic Dark Tunnel Bluff - except hero isn't saved by a river 4. Gotta slow down after he calls the flop bet.