Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-02-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Do you make this laydown?

I raise from early pos. with pocket queens. My raise is 3 times the bb. I get one caller. The flop is 7-8-9. Rainbow. I put in a standard continuation bet, and the other player moves in one me. He has roughly a little bit less then me, but if i call and lose, I'm pretty much done. The only read I had on the guy is that he was generally pretty tight. Ge got to the point he was at by making all in raises with decent cards and having them hold up. His sn is thedonkfish if that helps. I don't usually play tournaments, I play cash games mostly. I think my image at the table is pretty tight, granted no one has really seen me showdown a hand lately. Please any help. I know I don't post here often but this is really bothering me. Oh yeah and this is the second level of the party 40k. Blinds 75/150. That about covers it.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Do you make this laydown?

smells like a draw from him...most people would smoothcall a big hand here. I call.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:02 AM

Man I feel like I made a terrible mistake. I just had visions of running into a set. Thats a solid point. I feel like I should also take into account that this is the party 40k right? I mean doesn't a donk just move in with a set? He could have done this with any big ace too, to try and shut me out.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
smells like a draw from him...most people would smoothcall a big hand here. I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

or they would raise to protect against a draw that's making a continuation bet.

stack sizes and bet sizes would help...

being that it's the party 40k, a call probably wouldn't have been bad. a fold probably isn't bad either though.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:27 AM

Blinds are 75/150. I'm utg with about t4900. I make it 450 to go. I get called by him with about t4300 before he called.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:02 AM

Do you have any history with him? Also, is there any reason he would put you specifically on unpaired high cards, given your betting pattern? Has he seen you limp Aces or Kings first to act in EP, for example?

Level II, tight player--he has no straight, but all of those flop cards are compatible with a medium PP he could have called with, depending on position. Overpairs that you like are just TT & JJ. Given his tendencies, would he normally reraise preflop with these hands?

Seems to me that he's most likely check-raising the flop with AA or KK (or a set). But you know what, this is a tight player, not super-aggressive. I would let him steal the pot, if that's what he's doing, and not feel too bad about it.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:12 AM

Based on your read I think you answered your question. If he's that tight and it's this early I don't think he's pushing unless he has a better hand than you, ie, a set or
a higher pocket pair. I doubt a tighty would call with JT.

Bruce
Old 12-02-2005, 05:28 AM

Iwould probably lay this down. Your M is over 20 and there is at least some risk that he hit a set. You will find a better place to get your money in later.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man I feel like I made a terrible mistake. I just had visions of running into a set. Thats a solid point. I feel like I should also take into account that this is the party 40k right? I mean doesn't a donk just move in with a set? He could have done this with any big ace too, to try and shut me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the party 40k, there's no way I'm laying this down. You're talking about QQ against one person. If he flopped a straight so be it, but it's highly unlikely, as is AA/KK. I call here every time, expecting to see top pair or something. This is the 40k.

A str8 or set would probably have slow played more.