Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-15-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: When you look like a maniac

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no-one else has said fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I think that with so many styles working, that to fold preflop if you know your postflop game is solid could be a mistake. I typically see flops with deep stacks with a raise in front of me with hands that alot of people would say fold preflop with if I am closing the action, and I know I can get paid off big if I hit my hand.

I think that if you can't play well enough postflop to let go of this if an ace falls and you encounter resistance, you should fold this, but if you are fairly confident that you can outplay your opponent postflop, feel free.

Some of the top players would call here with complete garbage and win a pot with nothing, its not conserative, but thats the beauty of MTTs, you don't have to play tight to do well.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:19 AM

If only I had a dollar for all the times I went broke to someone who "never should have called", but still had the better hand.

Given your image, the push is simply too suspicious. You're sticking your aggression in this guys face - and even the weak-tightiest will eventually make a stand (small pair looks good enough [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]), if you visibly stuff them so hard.

Given your image, I like a pf fold. But if you are committed to taking this pot, I would either raise less (pot is good) -- folding to a reraise of course. Or I would flat call and look to take the pot away on later streets
Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I think that with so many styles working, that to fold preflop if you know your postflop game is solid could be a mistake. I typically see flops with deep stacks with a raise in front of me with hands that alot of people would say fold preflop with if I am closing the action, and I know I can get paid off big if I hit my hand.

I think that if you can't play well enough postflop to let go of this if an ace falls and you encounter resistance, you should fold this, but if you are fairly confident that you can outplay your opponent postflop, feel free.

Some of the top players would call here with complete garbage and win a pot with nothing, its not conserative, but thats the beauty of MTTs, you don't have to play tight to do well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What big hands are you looking for with A2o? 2-pair/straight?

Plus, it's not that deep. 20 BBs or so.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:49 AM

I would still look to just pair my ace, but if I encountered resistance I'd be done with it. I'd also be hoping to take down a pot with nothing based on good position here, if I get checked to I would bet with absolutely nothing, and it works enough to be profitable.

I would rather have deeper stacks here in this scenario, granted, but if my stack was 25-50BBs, I would make this play sometimes (not always).
Old 11-15-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t1600, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is just awful. No matter what your "post-flop skillz" are. A2o sucks and cannot win very many ways. Anyone open raising has got a better hand than you. Your bizarre play certinly matched your maniac image.

Hero has alot of chips (28k) at this point and is pushing them all into another decent size stack. This confrontation can do serious damage to your stack. This about that before you get involved or "make a play." Protect those chips - dont go throwing them all in with A2o. Making alot of moves is fine but you need a decent hand for the situation. A2o does not fit very many. In conclusion, I think this play is stinky.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:47 AM

i really don't like this play. if you've been really active in the last couple of orbits, people will think that you're playing LAG. so to throw them off you play LAG?

it's the pre-flop that i really don't like. when you call this guy, if he's been paying any attention, he's saying "ok, this guy's really LAG. don't let him bluff." so you're going to paid off if you hit your hand and he has anything reasonable. so i guess you could make a case for some loose call pre-flop with a hand like 58s, where you're going to try to get paid off if you hit something.

but with a hand like A2, i think it's a bad call. it's basically impossible to flop a strong hand, unless it comes A2x, 22x, or 345. the only realistic way you're going to get any chips from making your hand is if it comes AQ5 and your A2 beats his KQ. but it's going to be impossible to make any money / not get blown off the hand there unless you're also willing to go broke vs his AJ.

if you're going to pick a time to make a pre-flop call that is only profitable if you can win post-flop with nothing, the best time is not when you've been really active and you just restole from the current pfr.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly I think you owned yourself. Pushing 18k into a 4k pot reeks of "semibluff flush draw" in many people's mind. Why not raise here to 3k-4k instead? Or call and take away from him on the turn. admittedly 66 is a little weak here but I think a pair of eights might call there also. A 2.75x potsize raise/a 22x raise of the flop bet, doesn't look like you're betting for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think this is a much better line. Raise to 3k and fold to an all in. You stuck soooo many chips out there without a great hand and without a good plan. It seems like your plan was to take the pot away with superaggression. Playing that way into smaller stacks that can barely dent your stack is fine. Against someone who can cripple you there must be more cautious and have a better game plan if you are trying to "make a move."
Old 11-15-2005, 02:49 PM

While I think his call is pretty bad, you supply the clues to your own demise. [ QUOTE ]
I had been noticeably active in the past 2 orbits or so... I look a little suspect... The guy hadnt opened many pots... I knew I looked suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There was just no way in my book that he wanted action... I'd expect to see a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't you think he was thinking the same things?
Old 11-15-2005, 04:59 PM

I think you need to have a less-aggressive table image (TI) to pull this off. His calling range is going to be very wide here - which is exactly what you don't want.

When you have a LAG TI you need to change gears and push with a good hand so that they pay you off when they get ready to make a stand against you.

You say that anybody can play 'solid poker', but it is the patient player who times his moves right by combining his TI and the situation (sometimes garnering chips without having cards) who rises above the "standard" 'solid poker' poker.

Be aware of what your table image is - if you are Tight or Passive, you can bluff more; if you are LAG then you'll tend to get paid off more with your bigger hands.