Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-19-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: WinHoldem cheaters foiled

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care if their name is Frank or Bob.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no intention of making such software, nor do I have any knowledge on how to do it.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:17 PM

That damn cat invented winholdem, and mustard gas.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:17 PM

i don't know much about this stuff and right now I don't have time to look through the article/forum on it.

I do have a few questions/observations though:

1. I didn't know it was possible for someone to get a screen-shot of what I had running from somewhere else. If this is so easily done then wouldn't it be more likely that more of us would have had various user-names and passwords stolen and hacked into by now?

2. Are these guys using win-holdem actually making any money at all doing this or all they all pretty much losing/breaking-even?

3. Why would screen-shots be better at detecting this stuff then just noticing how long someone is playing at a shot....looking at HH's, etc? How does this even detect a bot-program? Can't you just remove it from the screen?

4. What happens for the win-holdem user if the table they are on closes? Before a table shuts-down it is often extremely short-handed for awhile (2-4 players). Do these Bots continue to play at these tables then or do they know to remove themselves (because I highly doubt they are capable of playing short-handed with any competence at all)? This could be one of the big problems with the Bots.

5. If everyone else can already take screen-shots of my computer I'm a little concerend about it I guess....but I guess I don't have much of a bigger problem with Party doing it than anyone else.

Input appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would screen-shots be better at detecting this stuff then just noticing how long someone is playing at a shot....looking at HH's, etc? How does this even detect a bot-program? Can't you just remove it from the screen?

[/ QUOTE ]

The screen shot will give definative proof. They likely narrow down the number of possible offenders with some automated program that looks for usage patterns (ie playing 3 days straight). Once they have a list of suspects, they can then have someone look at the screen shots. If they see proof, they can then act.

They've likely been doing this for a while, but then notified all the offenders at once. This gave them time to catch people before the WinholdEm people knew about the screenshots and found a workaround.

Like you said, they probably could just hide the WinholdEm window. This is why its so important to punish these people severely when caught. If not, they will quickly find a workaround and try again.

If I were Party, I'd send the offenders an email offering a 100% deposit bonus, wait for them to deposit more, and THEN close their account.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:42 PM

3. I don't think the screenshot itself is used to detect the bot. I think they have other ways to spot the bot, and then use the screenshot as an added evidence. Not sure thou.

4. I'm pretty sure the bot leaves the table before it gets short. Once again, not sure thou, have never used it.

5. As for Party spying on my computer, I say as I always have: they can have their best men come visit me and smear my nipples with marmelade, I would still play at Party.

EDIT: For example, earlier they warned you just for having a window opened with the title "WinHoldem" in its name. Now they can generate a screenshot instead and check it manually to dismiss those cases.

Adde
Old 11-19-2004, 07:46 PM

If I were Party, I'd send the offenders an email offering a 100% deposit bonus, wait for them to deposit more, and THEN close their account.

Oh man, I love that! If I were in charge at Party, I'd hire you at once. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Adde
Old 11-19-2004, 08:21 PM

I found my screen shot, but two friends didn't have them. It was a week old. I'd guess they only peek once in a while. Maybe I got on a list for mining overnight. It's kind of eerie seeing the shapshot: my email, with people's names and message subjects. an yahoo IM wiht some twodimes runs in it (hope someone won't mistake that for possible collusion in on IM). twelve tables (not playing). pokertracker... . I'm going to write to complain that they didn't close all those accounts.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 11-19-2004, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like the dimwits using WinHoldem are waking up to a bad day

WinHoldem Forum

As much as this vigilance/decisive action from PartyPoker heartens me it appears like we're in for a long and escalating battle between OPCs and the scum that market and use unethical AI systems.

I've seen posts here that seem to me to dismiss out of hand the AI as being littered with flawed probability calculations and devoid of any poker theory/psychology dimension of the game. However isn't it just a matter of time that these elements get improved by better algorithms that refine the odds calculations and integrate expected opponent behavior through hand histories in real-time?

Does this mean there will come a time when online poker for real money will just not be practical for anyone who's mind is unable to synthesize as quickly/accurately all the probabilities/psychology as a computer assisted player?

Also does it bother anyone that PP is doing screen shots of your display and examining them surreptitiously? I guess you should avoid having any confidential info on your screen while playing online. They should do a better job of warning people of this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are they cheating?

You are a stupid fuk

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really need to ask? So are you WH support, or a WH user who lost part of his bankroll while running a losing bot?

Freakin
Old 11-19-2004, 08:42 PM

I'm going to write to complain that they didn't close all those accounts.

Well done! I just wrote them a similar email myself.

Everyone should!!

info@partypoker.com

Adde