Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Turn Question

I'm running into a cetain situation very often and I'm not sure I'm playing it correctly. I realize this is a very general/basic question and the specifics are important, but I'm trying to get at the correct thinking and not a set of specific rules.

Assume I have a good pocket pair (like 99 or TT) aginst 2-3 opponents and the flop had one overcard.

Generally:

1. When it's checked to me I bet. (protect)
2. When I'm first to act I bet. (protect)
3. When it's bet to me I usually either fold or raise (depending on reads and other things etc.. )

Assume that regardless of which scenario took place, I was called by 1-2 players. This will often mean a draw, a weak top pair, perhaps another medium pair etc...

What are the primary considerations for whether I should continue with my aggression or check assuming:

1. a safe card on the turn

2. 3rd card to a STR8 or Flush on the turn
Old 12-23-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Turn Question

One thing you should consider is the size of the pot. If you raised preflop and the pot is big, people will be more likely to take one off on the flop for a single bet, even if they don't hold very much. So if the pot is big, I'd advise firing again.

If the turn card makes the board extremely coordinated, then I'd consider backing off, but if, for example, the third flush card came on an otherwise uncoordinated board and the pot was big, I'd still bet because I wouldn't want someone holding a lone card of that suit to make a runner/runner flush because I gave him a free card.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:51 PM

I think it is always better to bet until someone fires back saying that they have you beat
Old 12-23-2005, 04:56 PM

It all depends on texture of the flop as well as player tendencies and range of hands they play.

Example, if the flop is Q 8 5 and you bet and get called, I would not fire anymore on the turn or river. With two or three opponents in, there's really no chance you have the best hand.

Generally, if the flop is not coordinated, I would fire again on the turn. If the flop is coordinated, everything I do will depend on position and reads.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:40 PM

your question is way way too general. post some specific hands.