Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM

Default (rock) AA (hardplace)

In a 6-max 1.5/3 game on Prima last night I’m trying to play a variety of styles. Usually, I’m pretty TAG (24/12), but I’ve been playing around with LAG (35/16) and even superaggressive (70/25) play. I won about 2.5 buyins with the superagg style, but when this hand came up, I’d shifted back into TAG. I’d been mostly folding for about 15 minutes.

Two limpers to me, and I raise it up to 16 with AA. All fold to the guy on my immediate right. This villain is a pretty good TAG player. I have never seen him get out of hand, but he’s not afraid to put his chips in the middle when he suspects he’s ahead. I respect his play and try to not get involved with him without good values. He has about 450, and I’ve got him covered.

Pot = $40ish

Flop – 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian bets out $40. He started doing this when I was in superagg mode as a way of building pots that he thought he could win. I stacked him once when he did this. I know that I will not get any free cards or see a cheap showdown. I have no idea if he just flopped a flush draw (I don’t have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]), a set, or the nut str8. It’s also possible that he’s got something like 88 or 99. All are possible. I decide that there’s no way to know what he has, and that if I continue, he’s likely to beat me with what he has, outdraw me, or semibluff me out of the pot. I hate calling here because it invites a bluff on the turn that I might not be able to call. If I raise, it would have to be much more then pot for me to get the information I need. So…

I fold.

I don't know how to feel about this hand...
Old 12-13-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: (rock) AA (hardplace)

A very good fold. AA does not want to fight it out with a flopped str8 on the board, plus a flush draw, str8 flush draw, possible set or two pair. Oh, yes, villain makes a PSB OOP. You can find a better spot to stack this guy again.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:11 PM

Why dont you make it 100 or 120 and see what he does. If he calls most likely he will check and you check behind and see what he does on the river. If you turn an Ace then theres a good chance you have him beat. Even though you said you have been playing Lag I still dont see someone with a straight leading out. He may have a huge draw. I dont think it is a good fold when you have AA and dont put up at least a little bit of a fight. This hand is played very weak/tight and if you do this just because you think something you will get run over. Please explain why you think this is a good fold when you didnt even try to gather some information by raising him. He has been doing this too you I think you need to play on.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:29 PM

Villain could have 88-QQ tp w/ OES, FD...and just trying to gain information. Throw a raise out there as his range is far too wide...
If he calls fold to a turn bet, but most of the time if he calls he'll check the turn to you then go from there.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:37 PM

Can't fault the fold on what is an absolutely miserable flop for you, as your reverse implied odds are huge, and you've defined your hand for him.

But at least some of the time, you need to raise to his continuation bet, or he's going to do this to you all day long.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:53 PM

"and you've defined your hand for him."

How has he defined his hand to him. All he did was make it 20 to go pre-flop, that can mean a lot of things. My only point for this thread is he have to raise and go from there. If her re-raises you on the flop, fold, if he leads out again on the turn fold. If he checks the turn, you check and if he leads for half pot bet then either call and remember what he is playing or fold and fight another day. BUT A FOLD WITHOUT A RAISE IS AWFUL!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't fault the fold on what is an absolutely miserable flop for you, as your reverse implied odds are huge, and you've defined your hand for him.

But at least some of the time, you need to raise to his continuation bet, or he's going to do this to you all day long.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP defined his hand? WTF. OP raised PF and then folded to a bet on a co-ordinated rag flop ... that doesn't define anything. Villain's range is a mile wide here 88-TT, flush draw, pair+str8 draw, 2 pair, set. OP looks like he folded missed overcards, not Aces.

Marlow: raise pot on flop, fold to 3-bet. Fold to heavy turn agression. Folding on the flop was weak.

mj
Old 12-13-2005, 04:45 PM

call
Old 12-13-2005, 04:49 PM

I just think not raising this more preflop(30-40)is a big mistake, i'm doing with this a wide range of hands with two limpers in front of me. Especially after a superagg mode session.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are the only one advocating for this, I think we'd all benefit from an explanation.

Gracias sir.