Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Ayn Rand\'s Atlas Shrugged as a Movie

This is apparently going to happen, and IMDB says it will be in 2007. I wouldn't be surprised if it's much later than that. How bad are they going to fu[/b]ck this up?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/

In the hands a capable writer and film maker, this could be outstanding, but I have a feeling it will be a huge disappointment compared to the book.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Ayn Rand\'s Atlas Shrugged as a Movie

There is no doubt in my mind that this will not be equal to the book. I do hope that it will be good nonetheless.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no doubt in my mind that this will not be equal to the book. I do hope that it will be good nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd have to do a trilogy like LOTR - maybe more - to truly transfer this masterpiece to the big screen.

Yeah, it won't be as good as the book; however, more otherwise-minded people will watch the movie than read the book... which is exactly what we need at a time like this in our world.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:36 PM

Am I the only one on here that doesn't like Ayn Rand? I was a philosophy major and I feel there is a reason she was barely discussed. And I know that Philosophy is general "liberal", but we discussed other uber-capitalists like Friedman.

craig
Old 11-25-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one on here that doesn't like Ayn Rand? I was a philosophy major and I feel there is a reason she was barely discussed. And I know that Philosophy is general "liberal", but we discussed other uber-capitalists like Friedman.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of hers either, but to be fair I've only read about her philosophy and not the writings themselves.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:45 PM

Will they mess it up? Who is John Galt?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a philosophy major and I feel there is a reason she was barely discussed

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an economics major and the name Mises is utter heresy on school grounds. In fact, on my economics department floor, citing any reaction to statism other than praise is heresy.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:50 PM

I got about 150 pages into Atlas shrugged and decided all the morans who had told me to read it were exactly that. I didn't much like P & P when i read it, but that book was at least finishable, and her characters somewhat interesting.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got about 150 pages into Atlas shrugged and decided all the morans who had told me to read it were exactly that. I didn't much like P & P when i read it, but that book was at least finishable, and her characters somewhat interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
tolbiny
I suck at life

[/ QUOTE ]

Finish the book. You may suck less.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of hers either, but to be fair I've only read about her philosophy and not the writings themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

The writing itself is terrible. I have simply never understood the fascination that faux intellectuals have with Ayn Rand. There's simply nothing interesting about her philosophy.

I guess I should add that I'm generally skeptical of any ethical writing and think it's all junk, but when the writing in question is defending a supposedly shocking ethical system that is simply rehashing traditional egoism and the supposedly philosophical writing takes place in novel form, I think it's particularly bad.