Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 12-21-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Anybody rather win a satellite into the WPT Championship than the

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't get sh*t for coverage during the WPT Championship unless you FT, you can still be a superstar in the ME by just cursing a lot, being smelly, not being able to use your arms, crying a lot, being loud and fat, or fighting

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you assume a random player would want coverage?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can make a lot in endorsments.

Look at Hellmuth.

What was the latest thing he's done?

Nothing.

Yet, He still gets book deals/clothing line/etc...

For acting like a spoiled brat.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:31 AM

gee you know Id rather take the 25k buyin as opposed to the 10k, but what do I know.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Anybody rather win a satellite into the WPT Championship than the ME?

I'd rather have the buyin to the WPT than the WSOP-ME. I'm not playing in any satellites for either, however.

The WSOP seat is worth less to me than the WPT seat. That's all there is to it. 25,000 > 10,000, and the relatively higher percentage of dead money doesn't make up for that. If they were both worth the same expectation to me, then I'd rather play in the WPT event because I don't at all care about being on TV. Without the cameras rolling, perhaps fewer of my opponents would act like morons.

I would get no particular joy playing against name players. In fact, if it's all the same, I'd rather they were at some other table, thank you very much.

I can get my ass kicked by world class players at bridge for a lot less money.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why would you assume a random player would want coverage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Being on tv is fun times.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:30 AM

I'm with Curtains...don't care who i play with...$25k > $10k.

[ QUOTE ]

It would be neat to play alongside some of the best players in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Admittedly it is kind of neat...but it's not the end-all-be-all.

I'm a nobody and a sucky player...but I won a seat to the WSOP main-event and I had enough W$ on Stars left-over to buy into the $3k event on July 1.

I had played in only 1 live tournament prior to that which was on the Party cruise. I briefly played at the same table as Chip Jett and Ron Rose (I think). Chip was a maniac and was stacking up the chips pretty quickly which was interesting to see.

At the WSOP $3k event I was sandwiched between Tom McEvoy and Huck Seed which was kind of fun. Huck's dry sense of humor was enjoyable.

At the main-event I was at the same table as Johnny Chan for all 10+ hours I lasted on day 1 (Johnny got eliminated about 10 minutes after I did).

so...I get to say "Johnny Chan is at my table" on my cell-phone to a guy updating my blog on my progress in the main-event (me saying this on my phone was captured by the ESPN cameras so I was on TV for about 4 seconds sounding like a total retard...perhaps you remember that part).

but the reason I'm there is because I'm 'in it to win it' as they say (or, at least have a shot of making the money).

To that end, I would have much preferred to NOT have had to think "crap...he just check-raised me but I still think I'm good here...but it just happens to be Johnny Chan who check-raised me so WTF do I do now?!?!"

trying to steal blinds from Chan or Seed is NOT my idea of a fun time.

I prefer to feel like a genius against sucky players as opposed to an idiot against great players.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:53 AM

i have no intentions of being the best. id rather be rich
Old 12-21-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so...I get to say "Johnny Chan is at my table" on my cell-phone to a guy updating my blog on my progress in the main-event (me saying this on my phone was captured by the ESPN cameras so I was on TV for about 4 seconds sounding like a total retard...perhaps you remember that part).

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, that was YOU? nice ... fwiw, you only seemed like a semi-retard, not a total one! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

i don't get easily star-struck but i think most of us would have done the same thing re: someone of Johnny Chan's stature.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just thinking about this the other day. From a story telling standpoint and the 'coolness' factor I think a satellite into the WPT Championship might be better than the WE Main Event. Let's face it the Main Event is so large, with pushing over 6000 players next year that when you are seated at the table you might not recognize anybody at your table or the neighboring tables. At a full table of 10 at the WPT Championship you are sure to know between two and seven pros, if you follow the game closely, who ponied up the $25,000 to enter. Sure the compeitition will be much harder, but to be the best you have to beat the best.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am a pretty abysmal tournament poker player, but given all the dead money I think my EV for the WSOP ME would be slightly more than $10K. Meanwhile my EV for the WPT is probably a lot closer to $0. So I would go with WSOP. Even though I think winning the WPT is more prestigious given the tougher field.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So you can make a lot in endorsments.

Look at Hellmuth.

What was the latest thing he's done?

Nothing.

Yet, He still gets book deals/clothing line/etc...

For acting like a spoiled brat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a Hellmuth fan, However he did win the Headsup Challenge againist a very, VERY strong field.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:39 PM

I'm assuming I paid the same to get there. I'd much rather have the WPT. Simple reason--which one are you more likely to win or even make $. I would go with the WPT. 600 vs 6000. even if there's 5000 fish in the main event one of them is extremely likely to bust you out of it. I don't have to suckout all that much to make it to the final table--I think lol. If the final table is players as good/better than me I'll definitely take the fun race situations although I am against that policy.