Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Stu Ungar hands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley checked and folded when Ungar bet $225,000. Ungar brashly turned up his cards, showing Q-10. It was a total bluff. He had no hand whatsoever, and Ron Stanley had released the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did Ungar show this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-28-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stu Ungar mingled with John Strzemp in this hand:

Stuey in the cut off seat and John in the Big Blind

Flop: Ac 4s Kc
Both Players Check
Pot:$80,000 (approx.)

Turn: Ac 4s Kc 8s
John leads out with a $45,000 bet.
Stuey Calls.
Pot: $170,000 (approx.)

River: Ac 4s Kc 8s 6s
John leads out with a $70,000 bet.
Stuey Calls
Pot: $310,000 (approx.)

John shows Ks10s
Stuey shows an Ace (my guess is with a low kicker)

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember seeing a hand similar to this on ESPN classic; not sure about any of the details but assume the same hands and stuey raises pf, flop check/check and John checkraises stuey on the turn instead of leading. John puts a potsized bet on the river and stuey calls. At the break Phil Hellmuth (who is doing live commentating) calls Stuey over and asks why he called John on the river, Stuey said I knew he didn't have top pair since John tends to shove it all in with TP and his checkraise on the turn confused him into calling, since he didn't think John was capable of making a move like that with a pair+draw.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:53 PM

Just realized there were no suits cut and pasted in any of my posts...The first Hellmuth one, Phil had K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and Stu had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]...flop was 2 spades
Old 11-28-2005, 02:45 PM

I remember flipping through that book at the store. There was one hand where he was playing Mansour Matloubi (the 1990 World Champion) heads up. Both started with $50,000 and it was a freezout.

At this point:

Ungar has : $60,000

Matloubi has : $40,000

I do not know what the blinds were but Ungar opens on the Button and Matloubi calls from the BB with 54o.

FLOP: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Matloubi checks, Ungar bets about 1/2 to 3/4 pot and Matloubi calls. Another possibly massive implied odds call like in the Theory of Poker example figuring he can double up if he hits a 6 and Ungar has something.

TURN: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Matloubi checks, Ungar checks.

RIVER: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Matloubi overbets the pot all in, figuring correctly that Ungar has nothing and can't call. Ungar thinks for a few seconds and says something like "It seems to me like you don't much of anything. I think you have 54 or 65, I'm going to call you with this hand."

Ungar calls and shows T9o. He called him with ten high!

Greatest call. Ever.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:02 PM

oops i was wrong
Old 11-28-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Greatest call. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
was it? or was it the fact that he never believed anyone and called down everything and sometimes ran into hands like this where it seemed like the greatest call ever? someone said this on this site awhile back and it made me think.

no doubt ungar's skills were at a higher level than most anyone but when you play more pots and see more showdowns than anyone and snort more coke than anyone you will tend to run into insane plays like this. nice hand stuey.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley checked and folded when Ungar bet $225,000. Ungar brashly turned up his cards, showing Q-10. It was a total bluff. He had no hand whatsoever, and Ron Stanley had released the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Seemingly unnerved by Ungar's bold action, Stanley was eliminated shortly thereafter, while Ungar proceeded to run over the rest of his opponents - who by this time all seemed to realize that they were playing for second place, not the championship

[/ QUOTE ]
Why did Ungar show this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Greatest call. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
was it? or was it the fact that he never believed anyone and called down everything and sometimes ran into hands like this where it seemed like the greatest call ever? someone said this on this site awhile back and it made me think.

no doubt ungar's skills were at a higher level than most anyone but when you play more pots and see more showdowns than anyone and snort more coke than anyone you will tend to run into insane plays like this. nice hand stuey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no doubt. I don't think he's the greatest player ever because of this one play. I'm just saying it was the greatest call ever on this one hand. Keep in mind he put the guy on a specific range and told him what it was before calling. It wasn't like a calling station "I want to see that hand" call with any 2 type of call. He knew what the guy held.

But I agree with you, like Greenstein said 'You hear about Ungar making great calls, but you never hear about any great laydowns.'
Old 11-28-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Greatest call. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was Greenstein who wrote something along the lines of "i hear people all the time telling me about this great call Stuey made, i never hear anybody telling me about a great laydown"

EDIT:

Dammit! Beaten like a red-headed step-child.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another Hellmuth one...from this article Phil vs Stu

I had been raising every single pot, and I was afraid that someone was going to come over the top of me soon.

When you’re running over the table, sometimes you need to back off a little bit.

Stuey was in the big blind with Q-J, and he checked after the flop came down J-9-4.

I bet out $10,000 into the $5,000 pot, and Stuey called me with his top pair. There was no flush draw, so it was one heck of a call that he made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, one hell of a call phil. Because someone with a hand that beats TPGK hand bets 2x the pot on that board...