Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2003, 01:12 PM

Default 15-30 Taj Hand

I had only been playing a few rounds when this hand came up. I don't know anything about the other players.

I open raise UTG+1 with JJ. 2 MP's and the BB call.

Flop is A83r. Checked to me, I bet. 2 MP's fold and BB calls.

Turn is a 9 making 2 clubs. BB checks. I bet, he raises. I fold.

My question here is since he called the flop with no obvious draws, should I have checked the turn, planning to call his bet on the river or bet the river if checked too?

Or is betting the turn a better idea?

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 04-21-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Re: 15-30 Taj Hand

Your bet on the flop had a good result by narrowing the field. I give the BB credit for something. Most likely an Ace. I would have checked the turn and most likely call the river if he bet. If he checks the river I would bet.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:04 PM

Phil,

The lower your pair relative to the top pair when top pair is an ace or king and there is no obvious draw the more imperative it is to bet it. For example, if you open raised with 99 it would be mandatory to bet the turn. OTOH, had you open raised with KK (on an ace high board) you can consider a turn check (and river call or bet if checked to) with this board.

JJ is in the lower middle but I'd bet it most of the time. An execption might be against a very tricky aggressive BB. By tricky aggressive I mean a player who will checkraise the ace and just enough other hands (worse than yours) to keep you off balance. This type will bluff or bet off enough worse hands on the river to make a call mandatory.

Your turn fold is right unless the BB is as described above.

Regards,

Rick
Old 04-21-2003, 04:40 PM

hi phil
since you didn't know your opponent's playing style, you usually want to call the turn raise. here phil, you cannot lay down a 5 or 6 to 1. the pot is offering you more than enough to call.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:33 PM

A typical mid limit player will not checkraise a preflop raiser on the turn when an ace flops without having aces or (often) even better than that. This is an easy fold unless this person is maniacal or frequently checkraise bluffs/semibluffs. Then it may have been better to risk the free card by checking the turn.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2003, 07:02 PM

With that flop, you have to smell a rat or at least an Ace. I say check and try like hell to spike a J on the river. Once in a blue moon a check on the turn will cost you the pot. Like when the guy has 87s or something, but maybe they would call anyway. Against many players you can check the turn and fold the river.