Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Huge flop- how to maximize?

$4/8 loose-y goose-y B & M game last night. My table image is very tight, and probably a bit passive (haven't seen ANY cards yet).

Hero is UTG with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and limps. 1 fold, UTG+2 (a semi-LAG type with decent postflop skills) raises. 1 cold caller, the rest fold to the small blind who calls. LAGtastic big blind makes it 3 bets (he had raised UTG with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the hand before). Hero grimaces and calls, everyone else calls, and 5 see the flop for 3 bets.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

SB checks, BB checks, Hero-?

Is betting out here best? Check raising? Check-calling the flop and check-raise the turn if no scare cards hit?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Huge flop- how to maximize?

[ QUOTE ]
$4/8 loose-y goose-y B & M game last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm? go nuts? i like just betting and raising while people are available to give you money.

sets will hit this flop hard, let them. take it while youre a huge fav.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:35 PM

It's already a big pot and, really, it's not that big of a flop. You have to be scared of a diamond and any pairing card, and a Q or J may cause you to chop.

Often with 5 people and a big pot you want to check/raise and try to eliminate some of longshot draws. But in this case, the PF 3-bettor already checked and you're in danger of a whiff. And even if you do get to c/r, you won't be able to face more than 1 player with 2 bets.

Bet out. Hope that BB made a set and is going to give you a chance to 3-bet.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:38 PM

bets/3-bets.

anybody with any piece of this, any big [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is coming along.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:42 PM

with a raiser and reraiser this flop is bound to have hit them somehow. even bb has k5 again, he's so bad he'll probably put in bets. i bet, hoping that two-bettor raises. if it goes round for two bets, i call and wait to start raising on the turn.

By the way, your monster hand can easily be counterfeited here. So pray the diamond doesn't come on turn (or river for that matter) and hope to either bet/3-bet, or c/r turn.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:59 PM

With the pre-flop raiser on your immediate left, i would check/raise off him to try and build a massive pot on the flop. Hope lagtastic re-raises so you can 3-bet and get the field in for 3 (in these loose games people seem to call anything once they've put that first bet in).

If this works, you have a massive pot and nobody is going anywhere, hope and pray the turn and river are kind.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:15 PM

Based on your table image I'd check here and hope to check raise or hope it comes back to me 3-bet. (Unless your playing at PJ Pockets, then I'd bet out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).
Old 07-22-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the pre-flop raiser on your immediate left, i would check/raise off him to try and build a massive pot on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you worried that PF raiser might not bet since PF 3-bettor checked?
Also, does a whiff worry you?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how to maximize?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bet. Raise. Repeat.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:46 PM

You have to bet here. Alternatively, you could check with the intent of calling on the flop and jamming on the turn, but if the flop is checked through it will suck ass.

Edit: misread the action.

- Jim